Painless Harness install

-

19Dart74

Reaction score
I have been working in a painless harness 90542 21 circuit. I'm a little confused on how to integrate the ignition module, and TPS sensor. The new harness has been really good about matching wire colors but there is no mention of either unit. Do I integrate both into the harness via the OE manual? Or do these need to be removed?

What car? What motor and what induction are you running that you are using a TPS sensor? Fill in some blanks for us please.

I have a 1974 Dart swinger with a LA318. Not sure about the induction. Still learning about the mechanical side of things. The TPS sensor was originally installed with the old harness. Any help with how to figure the induction?

I have a 1974 Dart swinger with a LA318. Not sure about the induction. Still learning about the mechanical side of things. The TPS sensor was originally installed with the old harness. Any help with how to figure the induction?
There is no TPS on a stock '74 318, only if you upgraded to an aftermarket EFI system; which is why I asked about your induction system.
First, get yourself a '74 Factory service manual (either a physical one from sources like Ebay, or as a free download over at MyMopar.com). It will not only have all the wiring diagrams for your car, but will also allow you to identify particular components- which is the first thing you need to do.
There are only two wired components on a '74 carburetor that I can think of:
An electrically assisted choke thermostat (actually bolted to the manifold, but connected to the carburetor by the choke rod).
or
(most likely) a fast idle solenoid that is connected to a switched hot via the air conditioning pressure switch.
1689602479416.png

When this switch is activated (by turning on your A/C) it increases your idle speed by a couple hundred RPM so it is less likely to stall out at idle.

-
Back