Paint a Zinc Plated oil Pan?

-

seabee

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got a replacement pan that happens to be zinc plated. Anyone have any corrosion issues with these or suggest painting? I don't care about the look mostly about the corrosion.

Thanks in Advance- Bill
f776e531.jpg

I didnt paint mine, i like the way it looks without paint....
JMP....

Attachments

• IMAG0071.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 811
I don't think your pan is zinc plated. If it were, it would be dull gray.

I've seen this treatment on hood hinges, light assemblies etc. The part is dipped in chemicals that impart a corrosion resistance.

This keeps the part looking new while in stock and is good to combat rusting from moisture inside the pan but I'd paint the exterior for even better corrosion resistance and improved looks.

Yeah it's zinc plated. If you do paint it like it is, it won't stick. You'll need to bead blast it, which won't remove the zinc plating, but will rough it up enough so paint will stick.

dont blast it use some moribund solution its what you use to paint galvanized stuff it is an etch primer turns it black and the paint will stick

Ive painted them with no issues. Just scuff it with scotch brite. Is that the Miladon replacement ? Wish they came baffled.

There's plenty of paints and primers designed to be painted onto zinc plated/galvanized metal. it's a tad more expensive. Though, I've always just roughed it up and sprayed it with plain old engine primer without any trouble. Course, I don't know how well it'd hold up after fifteen years either.

But heck, if you don't mind the look, leave it. it looks nifty.

-
Back