Paint advice

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Well, the body work and trim hole filling is going well on the 66. My dad and I have decided to go with a flat black paint scheme. Nothin special as it is not a show car, just a badass hotrod mopar. We like the look of a flat black. We were thinkin of just using a base coat clear coat system and just using the base coat. That should give a nice eggshell finish right?? We don't want to just primer it black do we? Who makes a flattened clear?

I went to the paint store and the guy said it would be cost effective to just go with a base coat. One gallon of paint and one of hardener is $80 for 2 gallons of sprayable. Where as if he had to flatten out a black single stage, it would cost more for less paint and still might not give us the look we are after. Any suggestions? What do the rat rod guys use?

I would recommend Dupont's Hot Rod Black. It is a single stage activated paint. I believe it will hold up much better than uncleared basecoat as it's designed to be used as a topcoat. I used it on the front bumper of my Shelby Dakota and like the look. It's part of the Hot Hues line of paint. Here's a link to Dupont's site;
http://pc.dupont.com/HotHues/deployedContent/en/us/html/images/prod_HHM-6400pg_ER3838.pdf#search='Dupont%20satin%20black%20hot%20rod%20black'
Don't use primer for a top coat, water will go thru it to the metal and it will rust.
Dallas
BTW, a Yahoo search will turn up several links to other boards where this paint is discussed.

I used John Deere "Blitz Black" on my son's truck. It is a single stage semi-flat black. It looks good and according to tractor owners wears like iron. The best part is it costs about $24.00 a gallon.

70net440 said:
I used John Deere "Blitz Black" on my son's truck. It is a single stage semi-flat black. It looks good and according to tractor owners wears like iron. The best part is it costs about $24.00 a gallon.

I have looked into using this paint (#TY25669) and it is not available in CA. They have a low VOC version #TY25825 which is about $70 a gallon without reducer or hardener. I may just drive to Nevada to pick some up. I've heard nothin but good things about this paint and the pictures of the results look exactly like what i'm shooting for. Any suggestions on how to get this stuff???

I live close to Medford Or., so I just hopped across the border and smuggled two gallons in. Don't tell Arnold. The paint is a stock item for John Deere dealers, so if you live close to Nevada or Oregon you should be able to get it. It also comes in spray cans for touch ups.

70net440 said:
I live close to Medford Or., so I just hopped across the border and smuggled two gallons in. Don't tell Arnold. The paint is a stock item for John Deere dealers, so if you live close to Nevada or Oregon you should be able to get it. It also comes in spray cans for touch ups.

Have you used it yet? If so, how does it look? Any suggestions or concerns about it?

If you are looking for some cheap paint that will look good and hold up. Paintforcars.com sells flat black paint for $35.00 a gallon.

-
Back