Paint and body guys

-

dust-u

Reaction score
what product can I use to remove dried on compounds left behind from recent paint job(door jambs, cowl"fins" etc.

You're talking about overspray correct? Or are you talking about rubbing/polishing compounds?

Is this urethane enamel paint? If so, once the paint has cured, you can use denatured alcohol and wipe it off. If that doesn't work you can use lacquer thinner (again this is risky as some urethane enamels are of lower quality and do not have very good solvent resistance)
Do NOT use acetone...
If not coming off then you will have to sand off with 1000 or 1500 grit, then cut with 2000 grit and then use a buffer with rubbing compound, then go to polishing compound. I had to do this with my motorcycle tank once, it had clear coat runs on one side. sanded out the runs with an 800 grit sanding stone. Then used 1500 grit stone then sanded the area with 2000 grit to blend. then did the rubbing/polishing compound as mentioned above. Came out like glass... Then realized the area I did looked better than the rest... So I did the rest.
DO NOT wax for at least 45 days after painting, (again depends on the paint/clear coat) I waited over 60 days to be safe.

Not sure if you knew most of the other stuff or not, if so apologies for ramblin' on.
My experience has all been motorcycles.
I'm going to be painting my duster soon. My first attempt with a car.

x2 on prepsol. Acrysol, etc. Sometimes it takes some fresh compound by hand to rub it off. What type of compound was it? Most of the current commercial grade compounds will wash off.

x2 on prepsol. Acrysol, etc. Sometimes it takes some fresh compound by hand to rub it off. What type of compound was it? Most of the current commercial grade compounds will wash off.

thanx for the replies, it is rubbing/polishing left from buffing car out. getting it out of the cowl fins will be a challenge

thanx for the replies, it is rubbing/polishing left from buffing car out. getting it out of the cowl fins will be a challenge
I've taken a paint stick, split or cut down, and wrapped a terrycloth towel with some compound to get down between stuff. Just have to go slow and be gentle. you don't want to use so much compound that it's dripping. I usually tape off the grills and hand detail later.

oh oh - - be CAREFUL on fresh paint - you'll soften it up right quick and ruin it - in those fins use a SOFT terry cloth and take your time - I would say keep the prepsol etc out of there

If it's just dried compound and polish residue I suggest using soap and water to remove the unwanted material. If you have dried compound and polish in hard to get at areas use a home made semi-flexible plastic tool wrapped in a soft (wet) terry cloth to get at the material. I use a plastic scraper (putty knife). Most if not all polishes and compounds are water soluble and can be removed with just water and a little rubbing. You shouldn't need any solvents.

Maybe a soft bristle brush with soapy water would be best. If has been sun etched into the paint you have a whole different problem to deal with......

I use some Polish to remove the dried Polish. Wipe off with a towel. Don't need harsh chemicals.

-
Back