Paint code and color question

-

keith9291

Reaction score
I am about a week away from needing to choose a color for my 71 Dart. The interior is in near perfect condition and is green, therefore my real only exterior color choice is green. The guy whos doing the final body work and paint was trying to talk me into a 1969 color of F6 Bright green metallic. I am just not sure who it would look with dark/medium green interior. The original color was F3 medium green poly. I really like this color that I have found on a couple 68 coronets its GG1 Racing Green Metallic.
68RT_zr.jpg

68RT_q.jpg

Is this a one year only color? Or did it just have a different name prior or after? Here are some of the paint names and codes by year below, I have been looking at different pictures of cars from different years and I have seen 2 of the same car with the same color paint look like 2 completely different shades of green.

1965 Dark Green Metallic
1966 Dark Green Metallic
1967 Dark Green Metallic
1968 Racing Green Metallic
1969 Dark Green Metallic

Keith,

GG1 looks like a one year only color. The F6 green is the 691/2 liftoff color. I painted a 74 duster w/a green int that color. It looks good. That color is very close to the bright green on the 05 Jeeps....

Bob

Keith,

GG1 looks like a one year only color. The F6 green is the 691/2 liftoff color. I painted a 74 duster w/a green int that color. It looks good. That color is very close to the bright green on the 05 Jeeps....

Bob

Bob
Thanks!....you didnt find the colors of the bright green and green interior clashed? He has a 69 Bee he just painted that color and it looks great especially out in the sunlight.

Thanks Adam...

Are the 1970 greens the same as the 1971 greens?
In 70 they had
Dark Green Metallic F3
Light Green Metallic F4
Medium Green Metallic F5
Dark Green Metallic F8
Sublime J5
In 1971 it was
Medium Green Poly F3
Dark Green Poly F7
Willow Green J3
Lime Green Poly J4
Green Go J6

Thanks agian everyone!!

No they are different from year to year usually. Even if they have the same code ie. B3 blue in 70 is way different then B3 blue in 73, B5 in 70 is different then B5 in 69

The 2 greens went well together. I painted a white stripe down the side of the car, similar to the 70/71 340 stripe, which broke it up. He later added white seats..
Have you considered one of the newer greens on the late 90-early 00 minivans or 02 and up rams????????????

Bob

Do you happen to know a site I can see the colors of the 90's and 00's minivans and trucks that dodge offered in green. I went to www.paintscratch.com and saw the color and color codes but they look different on vehicles than they do on small square box on a webpage. I was able to find a few colors timberland, hunter and emerald green on ebay. Still would like to find Alpine, shale and moss greens from the same years.

Go to your local auto paint store. They should have color chip books or variant decks,larger swatches of colors since same color has many variations,for you tolook at. Or check out a new car dealer,there should be late model trades you can look at.
Alpine Green is lighter, Shale is a gray green and moss is a yellower green.

This might not be the best example, but it is F8 from 1969.

That being said, I can tell you I painted my car 3 times. The first time was with the old uroglow single stage by Sherwin Williams. It was a little darker than stock and shined like there was no tomorrow. BUT I ran out of paint and needed to repaint the deck lid because of a bug. Went back to have more mixed and it was no longer available!!!!!!

So for the second round of paint I had Napa mix me up F8 but their color chart was for 1970, and when I sprayed the car with it, the flake was too silvery and the whole thing looked light.

Finally I cut the door jam out of my parts car and gave it to a friend that worked at a Sherwin Williams paint store. Since it was an original paint door jam, it was not sun faded, and buffed up like brand new paint. He played with the formula to get me a match in base clear. It was a perfect match.

I sprayed the car and love it. I have the formula he used, but if you cannot find an older Sherwin Williams paint store, you may not be able to get it mixed. You see, he used some of the toners from the old enamel days to get it just right. If you are interested, let me know and I will post the mix formula.

On another note, for my suede paint for the dash, I brought my glove box to the PPG store, and they buffed the paint. I was like WTF, it is supposed to be dull, she said to pay attention heheheh. I did. She mixed up a quart of omni F8 and it was an exact match to the old suede paint that was buffed to a shine. SHe then sold me a quart of flattening agent and sent me on my way. I mixed flattener in it until I got a dead on match for the suede dash paint. I couldn't be happier!

-Dave www.gtsdave.com

Here are pics of the final F8 Mix my buddy did for me.

Looks dark in this pic, but F8 will screw with cameras in the sun. It is just a beautiful color. You cannot imagine how much rust colored toner is in it. It really gives the flake in the paint some pop.

2005073128.jpg

Here is the same paint from another angle. I guess I need to take some updated pics. It is almost finished, and runs and moves under it's own power now.

20060520Pics7.jpg

20060715Pics27.jpg

Dave that looks great!! I really like how that looks in the shade and in the sun. Id really appreciate it if you would post the paint mix.

Here is the list of toners. These were done by a Sherwin Williams Distributor, but some are discontinued toners, so you may need to find an older store to mix it up. It is a base clear formula, so you will have a couple of different choices for your clear. I used the system 7000 stuff, but prefer the way the Dupont Chroma Clear sprays out.

U7080-28.0
U7081-368.0
F5G79-1308.0
U7076-2304.0
F5S 69-3444.0
U7109-4460.0

You Sherwin williams folks will know what these numbers are.

By the way, I didn't mention the roof looks dull in the pics because I just shot enough clear to seal it over the green because it is getting a white vinyl top.

-Dave

-
Back