Paint Color Change

-

R4Sedan

Larry
Reaction score
Ok so I'm curious on some opinions. I have a '70 Challenger. The original color is FK5 Burnt Orange. Dropped my car off on Thanksgiving week. I stopped by the Body shop this morning.
The owner told me I needed to let him know next week on color because it's getting near time.
Would I hurt the value If I changed the color? I've always been the kind of guy that says it's your car do what makes you happy, However this is a numbers matching low mileage BB car. But it is mine.
The car is originally Burnt Orange, Black Leather interior, Black top.
So, Opinions. Please.

Thanks, Larry

Ok so I'm curious on some opinions. I have a '70 Challenger. The original color is FK5 Burnt Orange. Dropped my car off on Thanksgiving week. I stopped by the Body shop this morning.
The owner told me I needed to let him know next week on color because it's getting near time.
Would I hurt the value If I changed the color? I've always been the kind of guy that says it's your car do what makes you happy, However this is a numbers matching low mileage BB car. But it is mine.
The car is originally Burnt Orange, Black Leather interior, Black top.
So, Opinions. Please.

Thanks, Larry
That's a tough one. I'm afraid your the only one that can answer that. If # matching it would be worth more with correct paint, how much more ? A suggestion . You could paint the color you want now and in the future if you decide to sell paint it back to original . It may make a difference at Mecham or BJ but for most of use that would have a crack at buying a # matching 70 Challenger BB , personally I wouldn't care what color it was. JMO

Depends what your end use will be. If this is your forever car, then a color change won't matter as you're the one who has to be satisfied.

But, with a numbers matching car and you want to sell it down the road and advertise it as such, the guy who is particular and knows how to read body tags and paint codes will either walk away or negotiate a much lower price. Especially if you're asking a high price due to matching numbers.

If you want to maximize the value, paint it the color as it came from the manufacturer. If you don't care about that, then paint it whatever color you wish.

If it were mine, I'd go with the original color. If I were the guy looking at a numbers matching car and discovered there was a color change, I'd walk away because I'd be in the market for an original car. But that's just me.

If it weren't numbers matching and had an engine, transmission or rearend replaced it wouldn't matter as its no longer original. But that's not the case here.

Bottom line, your car, make yourself happy and enjoy it while you have it as you can't take it with you.

To me , I'd paint it the original color because it's numbers matching and if in the long run tired of the color would sell it. Then take that money and a non-original car and do it up free style. A numbers matching car is a very special vehicle in my opinion , because in a world of clones ,customs and such yours is the real deal.I've never been lucky enough to have something like that -mine have always been custom so I am envious of you.

Another vote for original color (nice). Unless you hate it and don't mind loss in value.
What color are you thinking?

I’d leave it FK5!

I’m not gonna lie, the fact that’s it’s matching numbers is part of that. I don’t think you’d take a big hit on resale. If you painted it a more popular color the interest you’d get from that would probably come close to balancing anything you lose from having it not be the original color. It wouldn’t be a gigantic financial hit.

I for one am bored to death of almost all the high impact colors. It’s nice to see something different, and that’s a great color. Maybe not my first choice with an open canvas, but if I had a matching numbers FK5 car I’d leave it that color.

I would get paint mixer to "tweak" the Burnt Orange formula. I bet you will find something real close to original AND something you love.
That's what the plans are for.our 69 cuda vert. Factory green.....blah,(in my opinion). But I saw a 70 Runner painted near similar with a little flake, looked sharp.

Thanks, all for the reply's. I really do like the Burnt Orange. But, years ago I had a '70 that was GoMango. Really miss that
car. Guess it's kind of like a old girlfriend. I know now is the time to do it, while it's apart. This will be my last project I hope lol.
I hope to never have to sell it. I thought more would say Plum Crazy or Lime Green. Pretty surprised.

I would get paint mixer to "tweak" the Burnt Orange formula. I bet you will find something real close to original AND something you love.
That's what the plans are for.our 69 cuda vert. Factory green.....blah,(in my opinion). But I saw a 70 Runner painted near similar with a little flake, looked sharp.
Yes, Steve something I thought about original color. With a little extra metallic!

Yep, create a close custom color! Wont detract from price very much(imo) and if/when time comes to sell, buyer will appreciate you staying close to original.
Yes, Steve something I thought about original color. With a little extra metallic!

I thought more would say Plum Crazy or Lime Green. Pretty surprised.

Plum Crazy and Sublime green are probably the most overdone of all of them. Maybe everyone else is getting sick of them too. If I never see another Plum Crazy car again it would still be too soon. Barf.

A BB #'s 70 Challenger ( I assume a 383 or 440 U code?) is always worth more with original color repaint, especially in a desirable color, which to me, burnt orange is. If it was orig. agree hue, some would say yes, some no.
Question is will you sell it at some point? How do you feel about burnt orange? Is there a certain color you must have? I agree purple and slim green are done to death. I personally have had several orig. E bodies of those colors, I was sick of them back in the 90's, but that is just me.
You are the only guy that has to be satisfied with the end product.
Paint it purple and I will HATE ON IT!!!!! ha

Before & After. Yup I changed the color.

20180720_201012.jpg

IMG_0201[1.jpg

Id leave it. That color is awesome but it is yours. Do what makes you happy.

A BB #'s 70 Challenger ( I assume a 383 or 440 U code?) is always worth more with original color repaint, especially in a desirable color, which to me, burnt orange is. If it was orig. agree hue, some would say yes, some no.
Question is will you sell it at some point? How do you feel about burnt orange? Is there a certain color you must have? I agree purple and slim green are done to death. I personally have had several orig. E bodies of those colors, I was sick of them back in the 90's, but that is just me.
You are the only guy that has to be satisfied with the end product.
Paint it purple and I will HATE ON IT!!!!! ha
Yeah Bill, It's a N code 383. With A/C. I plan on it being my last car. I don't plan on selling it, but if something ever happens to me. I'm sure my wife would sell it. I'll be going down to the paint shop again this week.
Thanks for the Replys

When people ask about paint color, I always think back to the start of it all in the 80's basically. The green colors were big, and 20 yr old green enamels usually not pretty but looks nothing like fresh new paint of that same color. Many cars were F8 green, and 99% got color change back then. Sorta like for many years now, ever Tom,Dick, and Mopar Harry wants a Plum crazy purple or Lime green car!!!!
One things about color, it can always be changed back but it takes some $$ like anything!! I say paint it what makes YOU happy!

-- To me , I'd paint it the original color because it's numbers matching and if in the long run tired of the color would sell it. _ _ _ _ _ _ _
-- I agree. -- (I know that I could have checked the green check mark on His post)

We blasted this car and were going to paint it orange to rebuild my car. Glad I didn't. bronze with clear coat is awsome. Made the repaint so much nicer because its all the same color everywhere. In the jams and trunk.

DSCN0964.JPG

DSCN0965.JPG

DSCN0954.JPG

Yep Larry, that's a hard choice that Burnt orange will look awesome especially with the formal top,but like you I also like go mango which ever you decide it's a awesome car either way.

-
Back