paint color w/o build sheet or fender tag?

-

vitamindart

Reaction score
I have a duster i picked up a couple years ago.
from the vin I can tell it was a 340 4bbl car with special pricing.
but is there any way to tell what color it was?
the fender tag and rear seal are Long gone unfortunetly.
it had a console ( floor brakets and auto shift linkage hole are there ).
has a ralley dash the interior is gone and its been messed with and painted at least twice. just want to make sure its not something rare or odd before i finish what the last guy started and turn it into my racecar.
plus if it was a odd or nea color i might repaint it that way.

Thanks!

First..... Being rare or odd is irrelevant because the car is missing the documentation needed for proving options.

As for the original color, you need to look in areas where the original color may still be hiding.

Yep . No B-sheet and F-tag , it wouldn't really matter if it was rare or not . I'd check with the previous owner to see if he didn't stick it in a box somewhere or maybe kept it for a souvenir if you are worried about originality .

Most re-paints are less than 100%. If I wanted to know the original color, I'd look inside the doors, underneath the carpet, behind the rear door panels, etc. Unless it was stripped to bare metal with the prior paint jobs, the original color will likely still be underneath parts of the interior. Underneath weatherstripping is a good place to look too. Even a shop that will spray out the jambs,engine compartment and trunk will often times leave everything covered by the interior.

If that doesn't work, you can also try slowly sanding down a portion of the exterior. With something like 180 or 220 grit, you will be able to see the color changes as you go down through the layers. The last layer before the primer should be the original color. Again, while that will work on a lot of paint jobs, if it was ever stripped to bare metal you're out of luck.

Thanks guys, that's what I thought. Just didn't want to finish what the last guy
Started doing ( turning it into a racecar ) if it was something special.
But since the motor and a lot of the parts are long gone I will use it for what I bought it for.
A home for my big block and the parts from it.

-
Back