PAINT Cost?

-

JTG

Reaction score
Hi, can you guys please provide what the average cost to remove all exterior trim / ornamentation and strip entire car & engine bay to bare metal (not including the passenger compartment). The only panels on the car requiring extra attention are the two front fenders. Then prep and paint using BASF Gasurit base /clear, then re-install all the exterior trim.

Depends on who is doing the work and location. For what your asking, I would guess a bit higher than 12k for all that work. Now, if "YOU" disassemble the car and just bring in the shell, I could see prices from 6-10k. My local mopar painter gave me a pretty firm quote of 4500-5000 just to strip and paint my car (complete) and my car is pretty darn straight. That price was for bringing him the rolling shell. There are some professional paint guys on here that can definitely answer your question in more details than I can offer, but it ain't cheap for nice work.
Alot of variables fall into play when considering a full paint job.

The only panels on the car requiring extra attention are the two front fenders.

You could have 40 years of surprises under that paint. You are talking hours of disassembly of often rusted and stuck bolts. You have labeling/cataloging of all parts removed (something I would do on a job like this).

Days to remove the old finish.

Days of body work, I don't care what you think, your car isn't straight. I could show you dents and waves that you don't even know are there.

Priming and blocking can take weeks.

For what you asked, disassemble, strip, body work, paint, reassemble, at my shop, you would be looking at $15,000 - $20,000.

If I were to do this as a side job, it would still be $10,000 (+ an additional amount for whatever I find under the paint).

You could have 40 years of surprises under that paint. You are talking hours of disassembly of often rusted and stuck bolts. You have labeling/cataloging of all parts removed (something I would do on a job like this).

Days to remove the old finish.

Days of body work, I don't care what you think, your car isn't straight. I could show you dents and waves that you don't even know are there.

Priming and blocking can take weeks.

For what you asked, disassemble, strip, body work, paint, reassemble, at my shop, you would be looking at $15,000 - $20,000.

If I were to do this as a side job, it would still be $10,000 (+ an additional amount for whatever I find under the paint).

Hi 1968FormulaS340, was told the car would need to be in their shop for 9 weeks, and the cost would be 20k like you have mentioned, they claim the finished product will be show quality and nothing less. They only do classic / muscle cars at this shop, no collision work on daily drivers.

-
Back