Paint job complete!!

-
that thing will look great with the trim on
but im not sure on the color...looks exactly like Michigan State Police blue

Normally yes but this is single stage

You need to be real careful sanding SS. You’re probably not going to get the orange peel out with 2 coats. If it was a high solids good name brand, then maybe. Stay off the sharp edges. If the paint is new you might be happy with a cut and buff. Paint thickness gauges are pretty cheap now but, cheap not always accurate. Have fun and post a finish picture.

I've started with 600. Usually 1000. The courser the flatter. Same with plastic filler. Better be four coats of clear if you are starting with 600. Flow coating is the way to go. I've had people ask how many hours of buffing I had in a job when I never touched it with a buffer.
Can you explained flow coating a little?

Can you explained flow coating a little?
Sure. Flow coat is sanding the existing clear until there is no orange peal and totally flat and sanded. They call that color sanding. Now put one more coat of clear on it. Comes out really flat and shiny. They never look that shiny with a cut and buff. It only works on clear coat or solid single stage.

Sure. Flow coat is sanding the existing clear until there is no orange peal and totally flat and sanded. They call that color sanding. Now put one more coat of clear on it. Comes out really flat and shiny. They never look that shiny with a cut and buff. It only works on clear coat or solid single stage.
Thanks for the reply! Couple more question if I may, what grit paper do you first color sand with? Is that wet?
My son wants to paint his car. The orange Scamp we are fixing the a pillar on. I'm a little nervous about it, but why not?

Thanks for the reply! Couple more question if I may, what grit paper do you first color sand with? Is that wet?
My son wants to paint his car. The orange Scamp we are fixing the a pillar on. I'm a little nervous about it, but why not?
I have cleared over #600 alot but the real number is #800. Wet or dry. grit is grit. Using a block is best as it just gets straighter. Wet sanding keeps the sandpaper clean while you sand. Sanding with a DA can induce waves to the bodywork.

I have cleared over #600 alot but the real number is #800. Wet or dry. grit is grit. Using a block is best as it just gets straighter. Wet sanding keeps the sandpaper clean while you sand. Sanding with a DA can induce waves to the bodywork.
Thank you sir! Kind of you to share your experience.

-
Back