paint job gone bad and need help

-
Part of the whole thing is they gave me a cr733 reducer which is for clear coat. Napa rep told me it can be "substituted for the original cr233 reducer on the spec sheet. Idon't know if it is true or not. I would think the reducers have different part numbers for a reason.
Not sure why they substituted the cr233 for cr733.They shouldve gave you the correct reducer.Im not sure how different the 2 reducers are chemically,cr733 is a mid temp reducer 55-70 degrees F.Some paintlines can use the same reducer on both clear and base,but with the crossfire system,they use much different kinds of reducers for the clear and single stage paints.Mixing incapatible paints without knowing the outcome is asking for disaster.I would take back the cr733 and get the correct reducer next time you repaint it.

I thought the paint just didn't mix right with cr733 reducer, It is labeled as a moderate reducer. I would guess there is a reason they have different part numbers. Should the paint store be held accountable for this or is it just a lesson learned. I'm thinking they should at least replace the reducer and maybe give me the amount of paint that was waisted.

I thought the paint just didn't mix right with cr733 reducer, It is labeled as a moderate reducer. I would guess there is a reason they have different part numbers. Should the paint store be held accountable for this or is it just a lesson learned. I'm thinking they should at least replace the reducer and maybe give me the amount of paint that was waisted.

Me personally,I would take it all back and talk to a manager and tell him they sold you the wrong reducer and you want the correct reducer and be compensated for the paint that got wasted.It wasnt your fault,they should have never even sold or even suggested cr733 for single stage.[-X
Ive dealt with paint suppliers for year and if something wasnt right about the paint,they usually have no problems replacing it.
im pretty sure you did,but make sure that you measure it correctly,if its 5:1:1(5 parts color,1 part reducer,1 part hardener)
make sure with a measuring stick,or measuring cup,fill it up to the 5 with paint,reducer up to the 1,hardener(if applicable ) to the next 1,even 1 part over will make a difference

My measurements were good. I used ounces. 16 ounces of paint, 8 ounces of reducer, 2 ounces of hardener. Ratio called for 8-4-1. Thanks for all the help. I won't get to talk to the paint store till Monday but, I will post the results.

If the paint has the 8:4:1 ratio, then it is not a single stage.

Forget warm

Keep your paint in a cool dry place or even on the ground and if you are using catalyst keep the catalyst cool also.

Yeah really. I talked to a chemist at work today with over 20 years experience formulating paint. I sent the link to work and see what he has to say. It looks like the first one shown is a single stage that uses a reducer only, the rest needed a convertor to work.

Ok, I looked up the delstar stuff and googled single stage paint. It seems that I must of, well, I need to talk to the chemist a little more about the single stage versus 2 stage.

Not really sure what a "chemist" will tell you that a good painter doesn't already know. You can't tell what a product is or isn't just by the mix ratio[-X Starting with the spec sheet recommendations are a good start but anyone with lots of paint experience knows that those are a starting point and are usually made just to comply with VOC regulations. A good painter will tweak those ratios to get the best finish out of the paint system. And personally if you are relying on google for information about paint systems you are sure to find vast amounts of the same misinformation usually given by people who don't know crap about paint work.

440 dude, you just don't get it......... I'm talking to someone who's job it is is to MAKE the paint. And that has been their job for over 20 years. Now I'm not going to throw some cute little smilie thingie in here to make my point. The words should be good enough.

Louie, Yes I do get it. I get that people come here for information about certain tasks they personally don't have enough information about. What I also get is that other people come here and give misinformation about topics they personally don't understand or have proper knowledge about. Personally after reading your "resto" thread it is very clear that you personally have a long way to go when it comes to body work and paint work. So why not take the advice of people who do it daily for their entire adult life? Also what "point" are you exactly trying to prove? That the manufacturer of a paint system doesn't know how to set up a proper mix ratio for the product they developed? :angry7:

If you have good knowledge about a topic feel free to add something its all encouraged, but when you don't, please don't add things that could cost a person hundreds of dollars following advice that is wrong. As far as your resto goes, I would be more than happy to give you sound advice on your body work and paint work to help a fellow Wisconsonite fix up his mopar. 8)

67Dart440GT is right and I'm wrong. I was mistaking single stage for single pack. Single stage means you don't need clearcoat. Single pack means you don't need to mix an activator/hardener to make it work. Sorry for any confusion.

67Dart440GT is right and I'm wrong. I was mistaking single stage for single pack. Single stage means you don't need clearcoat. Single pack means you don't need to mix an activator/hardener to make it work. Sorry for any confusion.

way to man up and admit you were wrong instead of drag it out and defend yourself as right even when your not like alot of folks do on here......not to mention you may have saved this guy a headache by fessing up.

good job buddy

-
Back