paint job price

-
Really, Soak you dry shop? It's great if you have the ability to do some of the work your self, But like I said. it's all in the prep work (Blocking and sanding) How much do you think it would have cost for your months of sanding?
The paint job on my son's car cost $1500 and that included supplies and labor after we fully prepped the car. But it was painted by a body man in his personal spray booth that he used for side jobs. Not at some rip off soak you dry shop. And prepping the car meant months of blocking and using high quality base and high build primer. Primer and supplies cost me $800, I already had compressor but had to buy everything else.

My original plans were to spray the base and clear myself. But the cost of a good gun and quality paint coupled with the fact I probably would not get it right the first time it just made more sense to farm it out and be done with it:

http://www.billsgarage.info/BodyWorkPaint.shtml

These guys are not leading you wrong it can cost easy 2000 grand for decent materials then more if you get effects custom work etc. Then lots of time. so 6 to 20 grand it can range. Or you can try it your self. then you have to buy tools but you will have them for next time. Also you will need a primer surfacer with sealer depending work. Epoxy really needs a primer surfacer over her. It can look strait as an arrow then pow paint shows the flaws.

well like i said most of the dents are out and its going to be ecoated so it well need the seams were the roof is and anything else block sanding the whole deal but all the rust is gone. i cant do it myself i am way to picky and this might be the only car i ever do cause i tend to go all out and the metal and metal work and stripping and ecoating has cost me almost 10k so far i have had everthing dipped trans,rearend,block everything is new in the trans and the rearend and the motor so you might as well say nut and bolt. and i want the tail stripe painted on not the sticker

Trust me, If you are way to picky dont choose a shop that is going to do it cheap. My car was easy, just a few door dings. Ive blocked it 5 times and theres still a few dings, LOL

Really, Soak you dry shop? It's great if you have the ability to do some of the work your self, But like I said. it's all in the prep work (Blocking and sanding) How much do you think it would have cost for your months of sanding?

I think if we would have just handed the car to someone and wanted the same results that we got it would have been $5,000 to $7,000. Real shops have overhead, they have to pay rent, utilities, people, tools/supplies, and then make it worth their time.

Here $5000.00 doesn't get you much, mid line clears run north of $700.00 a gal.
Like prrc said it's all in the prep we use Sher Will 21 polyester primer ( spray putty)
Block that down and usually prime and block another 2times, The 64 was painted with Planet color( Sher Will) and the cuda was painted with RM UNO,
The 64 was north of $30.000, Ya get what ya pay for, If your comfortable spraying your car go for it have fun, it's very rewarding doing it your self, Just take your time!

Attachments

• 2012-04-20 12.53.17.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 263
  • 2012-05-04 14.31.00.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 259
Here $5000.00 doesn't get you much, mid line clears run north of $700.00 a gal.
Like PITC said it's all in the prep we use Sher Will 21 polyester primer ( spray putty)
Block that down and usually prime and block another 2times, The 64 was painted with Planet color( Sher Will) and the cuda was painted with RM UNO,
The 64 was north of $30.000, Ya get what ya pay for, If your comfortable spraying your car go for it have fun, it's very rewarding doing it your self, Just take your time!

Is the 64 a straight black?

No it's B/C

I was talking about the base. Is the base just a straight black?

Planet color is SW effects line, developed to compete against House of Kolor. Many people have their black mixed but one way to save some money and get a very true black is to just buy black mixing base.

The cost savings can be substantial.

30k for a perfect black paint job sounds about right. Car looks great and the amount of labor in perfecting every square inch of a large car like that is crazy.

But that's what you need to do with black.

Musica,

Paint looks great....... Can you do me a favor though and straighten your front license plate, it is driving me crazy! I was trying to do it through my computer screen but could not reach it with a screw driver......:D

Heres one I did about 4 years ago for a member of E Bodies only. This car ran about 12K

Attachments

• 2261.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 263
$20.000 to $30.000 for a no excuses still friends after the job type of deal...
I'm sure you can find someone who will walk around your car with a gun for a $1000 plus materials...

It's the body work that costs. The painting is the cheap part. A lumpy bondo job will be a lumpy shiny car after painted. If you do the metal work, the etching coat, the primer, the long boarding, the gap checks...that's 40-60 hours then 4 hours of paint. Have got friends who did one hundred percent of all bodywork and prime prepaint then look it to Earl Shibe, looked like a million bucks.

well like i said most of the dents are out and its going to be ecoated so it well need the seams were the roof is and anything else block sanding the whole deal but all the rust is gone. i cant do it myself i am way to picky and this might be the only car i ever do cause i tend to go all out and the metal and metal work and stripping and ecoating has cost me almost 10k so far i have had everthing dipped trans,rearend,block everything is new in the trans and the rearend and the motor so you might as well say nut and bolt. and i want the tail stripe painted on not the sticker

Where did ya have the whole car ecoated?

Musica,

Paint looks great....... Can you do me a favor though and straighten your front license plate, it is driving me crazy! I was trying to do it through my computer screen but could not reach it with a screw driver......:D

now that's funny...... someone is being a little anal today!

How is that wack? Will gives somebody advice to learn how to do something themselves, rather than hiring somebody else to do it, and that's wack.

I agree with Will. I had never done a ladder bar suspension before, until the first time I did it. Now I wouldn't think twice about doing another one. I guess if I was rich or had no technical ability I might think about paying others to do everything for me, but how would I ever learn to do it myself that way? Besides, with all the online videos available now, you can teach yourself to do almost anything. I'm not saying by watching a video you can become a professional body worker, but you have to start somewhere.

mismy69swinger, if you do decide to do it yourself, practice on smaller items first with cheaper paint before moving onto your car. Good luck.

What's wack is I know Will's car will probably have one of the nicest paint jobs around when he is done. And also, recommending someone spend hundreds of dollars in materials to have it come out looking like crap and have to strip all that off and start over again, is not exactly good financial advice.
I am a big fan of doing things yourself, I did 99% of my car myself, but "a man's got to know his limitations"

Trust me, If you are way to picky dont choose a shop that is going to do it cheap. My car was easy, just a few door dings. Ive blocked it 5 times and theres still a few dings, LOL

:happy8: Now there's a guy speaking the truth, I am on the 4th round of block and long board sanding on mine. Still not where we want it for the black paint yet lol.

Here is the thing I don't understand boy's--OK so you spend 10,000 to 20,000 on a paint job-HUH-And you have a so-called "SHOW" finish--Tell me you paint guy's what kind of warranty does that paint job have after you take the car home??????? ANY???????? with that kind of money in a paint job and a so called expert shop did it.What will you do for the customer who has bubbles in a year or two??? If I ever spent that much it better be warrantied for at least 5 years BECAUSE of all the prep,blocking and spraying work and the amount of money spent--Steve

The reason I post this is a Buddie of mine spent $15,000 on a roadrunner and within a year the bottom of one door looks like chit with bubbles and flaking--What did the shop do?????? HUH--he got a SORRY about that--That was it!!!!! NUTS with that--Crazy stuff in the paint /body world

The reason I post this is a Buddie of mine spent $15,000 on a roadrunner and within a year the bottom of one door looks like chit with bubbles and flaking--What did the shop do?????? HUH--he got a SORRY about that--That was it!!!!! NUTS with that--Crazy stuff in the paint /body world

Dont use that shop again. Anyone that cares about there work or the business reputation would fix the issue.

I never had that problem,Been doing this since 1979,Like i said ya get what ya pay for, How much body work was done? $15.000 is cheap for a complete body and paint.

I've restored somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20 cars. After epoxy prime you are going to find flaws and dings. If you want to to it RIGHT you are going to filler prime and block the **** out of the car SEVERAL times before its dead straight. That costs time and a ton of material. That's where it gets expensive even before you get to the cost of the base coat and clear. And yes the color and weather or not it is more than two stages of base before you get to the clear. It's all in the prep. 6-10 grand is a common cost all day long. Sure take it to Maaco for a grand but you better sell it quick before it peels the week after. Went to a car show today and it amazes me the crap that body shops will let leave their shops. You get what you pay for is never so true when it comes to autobody work. Good luck man. Don't settle on the cheapest guy, you will be sorry.

-
Back