Paint line between interior and exterior color?

-

BardDoots

Reaction score
Hey! I recently bought a 1973 Dart that has been through several color changes over the years and I'm looking to restore it to its original color listed in the fender tag. That would be JA5 - Dark Silver Metallic on the exterior and GB5 - Bright Blue Metallic on the interior. I was wondering where does the color switch happen from the exterior color to the interior color. So I have a few questions regarding that:
Is the line the door seal? or the interior color only on the upper and lower portion of the door on the interior?
Is the dash also painted the listed interior color?

I tried to find pictures online but most examples have the same exterior color as they do interior, and it's hard to find pictures of the door jamb specifically.

Thanks in advance for help.

Follow the seal

20231202_145626.jpg

The masking line on the doors is at the centerline of the weatherstrip on the doors. In the rear seat area, just the sheetmetal below the windows is painted. But there is no other interior color on the body that I can think of. Yes the dash would be a satin variety of B5, as would a lot of other interior trim parts.

Last edited:
On the door, use the seal as a guide.
On the body the factory used the pinch weld (that gets covered with the trim)

Alan

Can you post photos as I’m trying to picture what the problem is?

On ‘73 and later plastic uppers on the doors and door card/panels covered everything below. So the doors are sprayed body colour but then covered by plastic and door cards so you don’t actually see paint on the interior of the doors when sitting inside. Same with the back seat area and kick panels in the front seat area. The dash was painted but it’s not beside any other painted surface.

There were different trim levels. Some of the cheaper models still had the painted sheetmetal in the interior. I know this is a picture of a '73 Valiant, but I'm betting a base Dart would be the same/similar.

1706839290726.png

Can you post photos as I’m trying to picture what the problem is?

On ‘73 and later plastic uppers on the doors and door card/panels covered everything below. So the doors are sprayed body colour but then covered by plastic and door cards so you don’t actually see paint on the interior of the doors when sitting inside. Same with the back seat area and kick panels in the front seat area. The dash was painted but it’s not beside any other painted surface.
If it is a Dart Sport (aka Demon) yes it had the new interior with plastic or other materials covering everything. If it was a Dart Swinger (old body style) there was still metal showing in the interior.

-
Back