paint or ? no paint ?

-
Should you take the next breath? Should you wipe your butt? Should you get out of bed?

Maybe you should make the decision yourself. You'll be happier with the outcome.

Just polish the ever-loving hell out of it and wax it. It'll look like you're driving a 747.

Yeah, that'll be...cool. Yeah. That's it, cool.
screwy.gif

Paint it so you have a uniform color over the entire car. If you're going to take the time to prep the car for clear, then not priming and shooting a base color first would be foolish.

Looks like your car has a "woody" under that purple sheet!!!!

Should you take the next breath? Should you wipe your butt? Should you get out of bed?

Maybe you should make the decision yourself. You'll be happier with the outcome.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to make it sound like I was asking for approval. it's what I'm going to do, and I wanted to share my ideas with others. I like to do things different than everybody. else that's the way I like to treat my hobby. you're highly educated opinion is noted. lol!
so here's my progress- the first fender I finished with a marker light and a emblem and the second fender I actually changed first. this time use chemicals to get the paint off as the paint on the replacement fender was a lot thicker. and the last picture is in mopar muscle, the / month have a car doing the same thing. actually I was at the Portland Roadster Show and over a dozen cars like that so its not just me only. I thought it was cool.View attachment 20150402_125142.jpg

View attachment 20150402_175906.jpg

View attachment 20150402_182230.jpg

You're going to have a heck of a time getting the clear to stick to bare metal well enough to keep it from rusting. Also, it doesn't just look like bare metal when you clear coat it. The finish of the clear coat is pretty obvious. It end up looking more like you painted it a metallic color than actually left it bare metal.

I did this on a motorcycle frame awhile back. Stripped it, sanded it down, and then did a rough polish on it. So, not shiny, but not a brushed look either. When I laid the clear on like normal paint, it built up and gave the frame an amber look. It was still clear, as in, you could see through it, but it had a visible tint to it. It was also VERY hard to keep it from running off the metal. In really thin coats it remained clear and without any tint, but within a year or so rust spots started to show up under the clear. It's not intended as a sealer, that's why they make primer/sealers. And this was on a motorcycle that was always garaged, and was never ridden in the rain. In California, in the valley. So, humidity often sub 30% during the day to dry everything out. Yes, it's still finished like that, and it hasn't flash rusted or anything crazy, but it has a pretty small visible area compared to a car. A few spots here and there on a bike frame go unnoticed pretty easily. On your fender, not so much.

As far as the other cars at the roadster show, I've seen a few done that way. They aren't clear coated, they are actually bare metal. Otherwise they wouldn't look like bare metal, as I pointed out already. They'd look like clear coated bare metal, which isn't the same. It takes a crap load of maintenance to keep them looking half decent, and most of them are show cars only with limited road time. I personally only know of one bare metal car that was regularly driven (including in the rain), and, yeah, it takes a crap load of maintenance. Do you wipe down your car every time it gets wet? You know, make sure all the water is off of it and then wipe it down with a metal conditioner/wax?

I suppose it you like to prep and polish your car more than you like to drive it, go for it. My guess is the novelty will wear off.

fads come and go. some make no sense. the car done back with straight panels and nice paint, will be in style as long as people play with these cars..

you will always see people fab patch panels, and be driving a car with all these repaired areas primed, and a mishmash of original paint,. replaced fenders of a different color, " a work in progress", that makes sense, but the '" lets clear coat the rusted sucker" does not to me! but what do I know????

Wow no one likes it? Good thing i wasn't shopping for approval! didn't know there was a fad, but portland oregon has always been 10 years behind the times. It is keeped in a warm shop 90% dragstrip and 5% car shows and 5% jump in - HOLD ON !!!!
i more dust it off then wash it. There's no rust on the car. And to save some smart a$$ from chiming in and saying " there will be" I'm well aware there will be some maintenance. Again it's my hobby. I'm still planning on giving the car to my son in Colorado in two years. (And starting a 40's dodge truck gasser) He wants to paint it sassy grass like the 72 we did when he was a kid. For me its been there done that.
I can just let this thread go if no one else cares to hear or see about it. The whole car is in place to make ME happy.

fads come and go. some make no sense. the car done back with straight panels and nice paint, will be in style as long as people play with these cars..

you will always see people fab patch panels, and be driving a car with all these repaired areas primed, and a mishmash of original paint,. replaced fenders of a different color, " a work in progress", that makes sense, but the '" lets clear coat the rusted sucker" does not to me! but what do I know????
what rust ?

Wow no one likes it? Good thing i wasn't shopping for approval! didn't know there was a fad, but portland oregon has always been 10 years behind the times. It is keeped in a warm shop 90% dragstrip and 5% car shows and 5% jump in - HOLD ON !!!!
i more dust it off then wash it. There's no rust on the car. And to save some smart a$$ from chiming in and saying " there will be" I'm well aware there will be some maintenance. Again it's my hobby. I'm still planning on giving the car to my son in Colorado in two years. (And starting a 40's dodge truck gasser) He wants to paint it sassy grass like the 72 we did when he was a kid. For me its been there done that.
I can just let this thread go if no one else cares to hear or see about it. The whole car is in place to make ME happy.

Hey , you asked us and are now mad at the answers:violent1:

:finga:

one thin you might experimentwith is a product called Oshpo. it is a phosphoric acid type product made to neutralize rust and leave a somewhat protective coating. works well for me on pitted metal, but I have D A ed down some average metal , applied this stuff. 1 yr later very little surface rust. the coating is not noticeable....

beware. it has to dry completely before any primer ( in your case clear) is applied, and not everything you put on it will be compatable, as is an acid based epoxy. I would say get a gt $10 at True Value) and try on a piece of metal and clear it and see what you get.

when I was a young guy, my father in law would sometimes say, " I will give you my opinion and advice, its up to you to decide if you can use it".

he also sometimes would s ay " son, you could fall in a chit hole, and climb out smelling like a ROSE"!

Sounds like you had your mind made up before you asked. You not going to get much "wow" factor on a 10 y/o passed fad. Even seeing more rat rods with paint. So even they're done with the unfinished look

Sounds like you had your mind made up before you asked. You not going to get much "wow" factor on a 10 y/o passed fad. Even seeing more rat rods with paint. So even they're done with the unfinished look

LOL - sounds like i have my mind is made up ? Did you happen to see the picture in the thread opener?
Did you read my post that said my city has always been 10 years behind the scene? Rat rods just started
showing up at car shows her. Polly want a cracker? do I sound like a parrot?

one thin you might experimentwith is a product called Oshpo. it is a phosphoric acid type product made to neutralize rust and leave a somewhat protective coating. works well for me on pitted metal, but I have D A ed down some average metal , applied this stuff. 1 yr later very little surface rust. the coating is not noticeable....

beware. it has to dry completely before any primer ( in your case clear) is applied, and not everything you put on it will be compatable, as is an acid based epoxy. I would say get a gt $10 at True Value) and try on a piece of metal and clear it and see what you get.

when I was a young guy, my father in law would sometimes say, " I will give you my opinion and advice, its up to you to decide if you can use it".

he also sometimes would s ay " son, you could fall in a chit hole, and climb out smelling like a ROSE"!
Ed (wheeler dealer) would call that a "top tip" and I thank you.

not a fan of big wheels , but I kind of like those. car would look great silver with black accents/graphics

not a fan of big wheels , but I kind of like those. car would look great silver with black accents/graphics

Agreed x 2 - not a big fan of the big wheels either. when I was shopping for some 14" tires to fit the stock wheels these popped up on Craigslist for $200 with tires. they're off a 05 Dodge Hemi wagon. I actually have them on Craigslist for sale right now but sometimes I look at them and they kind of grow on me.and I'm feeling the black accents idea also.when we did the 72 in sassy grass green it did not look that good until we applied the matte black on the hood and other areas.

Hey , you asked us and are now mad at the answers:violent1:

:finga:

hey, it's the one line wonder with his criticism and sarcasm! I'm really not shopping for people to agree with me but at least you could throw out a good idea or something. I'm looking for something different. maybe you could throw a good sarcasm out there like - oh you want something different, why don't you go to your backyard and pick up the hard dog do and paste it all over your car that'll be different?! I mean for crying out loud anybody can poke holes at other people, but it takes a little more intelligence to come up with some help and figure out a better way of doing things. you know my mom always said if you don't have nothing nice to say don't say it at all, but on the other hand she also said the more you roll with a turd the stinkier you get! lol:happy1:

hey, it's the one line wonder with his criticism and sarcasm! I'm really not shopping for people to agree with me but at least you could throw out a good idea or something. I'm looking for something different. maybe you could throw a good sarcasm out there like - oh you want something different, why don't you go to your backyard and pick up the hard dog do and paste it all over your car that'll be different?! I mean for crying out loud anybody can poke holes at other people, but it takes a little more intelligence to come up with some help and figure out a better way of doing things. you know my mom always said if you don't have nothing nice to say don't say it at all, but on the other hand she also said the more you roll with a turd the stinkier you get! lol:happy1:

One line is all your cry baby *** deserves, lighten up "FRANCIS"

And where did you find the Chevy truck knock off wheels?

Just by the looks of the front fenders I'll have to break it up with some color .this happened with the sassy grass green also, it looked terrible until we covered the top with matte black and broke it up a little bit.

-
Back