paint question, not automotive

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
I am having some weight cut out of various thicknesses of flat steel for my nephews soap box derby car. I need to paint them, what would be a good paint(spray can), that will not stick to other weights when stacked or the floor board? I painted some last summer with a gloss white I had laying around the garage and the weights stuck together and stuck to the floor board. I gave them two days to dry after painting maybe not enough time to fully cure?
Aaron

Any paint that is completely dry should not stick. If i want quick dry I usually go with Krylon.

Try using flat paint instead of gloss, it should not stick like the gloss paint!! Geof

I like Rustoleum...but give it a good week(maybe a little overkill) to dry if you are going to stack together.

Rustoleum is prob best paint in a spray bomb for a tough finish. but unless you can bake it in the hot sun that week of dry time would not be much overkill to stack parts. If you can get Rustoleum 'Professional' (taller cans)you can speed things up. It says 15 min dry time, dont know about that, but definitly a lot quicker than regular stuff.

i have had all kind of problems with spray paint these days. first off, in many states the only spray paint you can buy is the "non-voc" water based paints. the spray cans that legendary restoration sells now is all water based. i found this out when i bought a can of mopar red engine paint off of legendary and then could not get it to dry. i don't spray the water based paints for body repair because i don't have a spray booth (which you have to have now to spray the water based paint). if you look on a spray can and it says anything about "water based" or "latex" then you HAVE to put a fan on the part you painted to get it to dry. water based paint will not dry unless there is significant air movement across the part.

the fastest drying spray paint there is is laquer - but i don't think you can buy that anywhere these days. the next best is the "old" enamels. i think you can still buy these. look for a can that says "enamel paint" on the label. any can that says "ultra-loc VOCs" or some other kind of "environmentally friendly" language is probably going to be a water based or a slow enamel.

as to temp and moisture - the hotter the better for faster drying and the dryer the better. so don't paint anything when the temp is below 65 degrees and the humidity is above 50%.

finally, if you don't care about color, any spray primer that says "fast-drying" and/or "easy sanding" or "quick sanding" is also good. primers that say "build-up or filler primer" will be slower drying, thick and "heavy."

I am having some weight cut out of various thicknesses of flat steel for my nephews soap box derby car. I need to paint them, what would be a good paint(spray can), that will not stick to other weights when stacked or the floor board? I painted some last summer with a gloss white I had laying around the garage and the weights stuck together and stuck to the floor board. I gave them two days to dry after painting maybe not enough time to fully cure?
Aaron

Start earlier,give more dry time. Natural sunlight, cures best.(without nasty catalyst stuff.

Aaron

Start earlier,give more dry time. Natural sunlight, cures best.(without nasty catalyst stuff. ) Spray separated, let them dry,to the touch.

makes me wonder if you used an oil based enamel put on with foam brush out of the can. (thick?)would have to think a spray can of enamel would dry. I like krylon, but like he said, you can get a can of spray epoxy, at most auto parts stores.... it will stick to anything and dry quick..... $18- 20 for a large can....

-
Back