paint question

-

sthorne82

Reaction score
i have to do something about the paint on my hood and dont have the money right now to have my car painted so i need some advice on some spray paint that would look decent for a couple of years. i am going to tape up my decal and spray the rest for now for the fact that i talked to the guy that repainted my car in the 80's and he told me they didnt touch the hood

Attachments

• Picture516.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 165
  • Picture519.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 168
do you have a compressor and spray gun ? The SEM is lacquer so you have to be carefull what you spray it over.

I think you can get sems paint in flat black and about 100 bucks and challenger gary makes the stripe for 35 bucks shipped
i will look in to paint i really dont want to do any thing with the decal yet until i take all the measurements because it is factory

do you have a compressor and spray gun ? The SEM is lacquer so you have to be carefull what you spray it over.

yes i have a couple of guns just not too confident in my painting i have ran base before i just worried this cars has been apart of my life since i was two.

remove the sticker and sand hood to a 600 grit,repaint hood with black base coat wiith activator. let dry and get new sticker from Gary. base coat with activator will dry to a matte finish No clear. Should only cost about $50 you will only need a pint of paint reduced

Have you done that before ? Not so sure the base will do well with out clear on it.

go to auto zone and get self etching primer in spray bomb it has metal conditioner in it.. Apply it to th areas where you sand it to bare metal. Martin senor black out can be sprayed over anything on there. I used it on my car. Wipe and dry the area with wash off and thin the paint quite a bit. Spray something else to ge use to it. It matched my tape stripes perfect. My car is single stage with this sprayed over it. I was a Finish painter at Mack Trucks for years. It took me several tries to get this thinned correctly for the temp I was spraying in. I used the wing to practice.Steve

Attachments

• dus2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 172
  • dus3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 139
Bought the (black out) paint at NAPA. Do not lay it on heavy or it will shine. Light coats thinned so it layes smooth with no orange peal. let it flatten up between coats. You can gently wipe it with a tack rag between coats to remove any dirt so it don't get burried with the next coat. It was easier then you think. Steve

yes i have done it many times it works great. I have also tried the sem it looks good for a while but it scratch's real easy. The activator in the base coat makes it very hard. If you like you can put a semi gloss clear on top but that up's the cost and may be more of a shine than desired

SEm hot rod black would be ideal for that. It's a single stage so everything has to be perfect before you shoot but I've had good luck with it and I think it would be almost a perfect match for the factory.

theres a company called Hot Rod Flatz that also makes a good, strong single stage paint, I've used it on bikes and hot rods before...

Personally, I would not touch it. I think it would look better (for now) in it's natural "aged" condition. If you re-black it out you will have two totally different patinas going on.

Leave it as is until you can paint the entire car.

i have to prime my roof also from where the vinyl top was i have a lil surface rust and dont want that to get out of hand so while i was doing the roof i figured i would do the hood and down the top of the fenders

-
Back