paint question

-

72 340 Demon

Reaction score
i have two gallons of single stage paint after i shoot it would it be a good idea to shoot a gallon of clear over it would it give it better shine depth and a protection or is it best to shoot it and no clear and opinion on it thanks in advance

i would mix those two gallons together to insure color consistancy. clear is not recommended with single stage paint systems, as the single stage has clear already in it. i suppose you could but you would be wet sanding for days, and depending on the different brands and mixtures, it may not take.

I would agree with most of what 73 says, best to mix the two gal. together. A cc over single stage is not "recommended". I've done it and seen it done several times with no issues though. It will certainly add shine, and should add additional UV protection to boot. I don't know why you would be wet sanding anymore than normal. Wet sanding is to remove the orange peel.

That said, you don't want to put to many (or to thick) coats of the single stage color down. If you get too much build up you run the risk of your paint job alligatoring and looking like a vinyl top!
C

What color is it? I would mix the two together for consistancy also, single stage metalics are hard to color sand because if you don't put the paint on slick enough and end up with some Orange peel, then if you wet sand too much it cuts into the metalic making it look like crap. When I painted my car 10 yrs ago I used ppg paint and at the Time they didn't have my color in base clear, only single stage, so I painted car with the single stage and then cleared over it so I could color sand to a smooth as glass look. The paint I used at the time ppg recomended you wait 4 hrs before clearing, so it made an all day job to paint. If its solid color I wouldn't use clear, just put 4-5 good coats and you will have plenty of paint to color sand all the Orange peel out. hope this helps

Ditto what crlush posted. If you want a nice metallic, you have to go with Base-coat/Clear-coat.
not always..single stage..layed down like glass,,excellent coverage,,electric metallic blue

Attachments

• a214.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 111
  • a237.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 103
not always..single stage..layed down like glass,,excellent coverage,,electric metallic blue

But what you get is what you get. You can't (should not) cut, color sand or whatever a single stage metallic.

Sanding a single stage metallic will mottle the hell out of it and the only fix is a repaint.

But what you get is what you get. You can't (should not) cut, color sand or whatever a single stage metallic.

Sanding a single stage metallic will mottle the hell out of it and the only fix is a repaint.
exactly why i havent touched it with any paper. its not going to win any awards, but it turned out really nice. the pics dont do it any justice

-
Back