paint question

-
By reading the replies I've seen the complete gamut of replies.

1. if a shop owner replies to this message. 10k is about right,
if you have to pay to get it painted and have no body working skills and are not interested in learning them then this is the way you'll most likely go. check out the shop and the car's thay have done (not the display items, the customers cars) unless your careful you can get burnt bad on the repair. Mostly you Will get a good job if you do your homework on the shop and GET it in writing to enforce it. (due to the reputation and labor costs "restoration" by shop is EXPENSIVE) don't let the "extras be added until you look at it and OK them. Bring a friend that does know body work or a car club member that's got some knowledge,even if you have to get him lunch or a few bucks to cover time. well worth it to have a second set of eyes on the work area and cars

2. of a DIY'er replies is way too much for your cars worth and your the one that's fixing the car and making sure it's right . 3k-5k (including your time as money.) but it'll be done the way you want it and not skimping on the way. will it be perfect? no specially if it's your first one,you'll always see the flaws that you have done. other people might not even notice but you will. it'll blow away a "maco" job anyday and if you have been on the auto body paint forums you'll have on tap knowledge from the pro's before you start to help you get through.

3. if a slightly non DIY'er (meaning one that wants a great looking car but doesn't or wont try to learn to paint and bodywork) doesn't and take a chance at painting it. then he'll point you to do it once and it'll be right way. 8k-10k(he's right in his own way too!). see above for shop owner

4. there's the "luck guy"(wish I could have found the guy to do mine,but glad I learned to do it my way) that can do the prep work and get a shop to paint it. 3k-5k (and it'll look good as long as you know your painter and have seen some of his work.) I know quite a few guys that went this way and only one got burned by bad paint work(didn't do homework on shop)

5. then there's the guy that just goes out and buy's one already done with the color and the engine he likes. total cost of about the 10k-15k range. does he know what's underneath that pretty paint? nope but it's all done or done enough to let him put the last touches on it. (it's all in what you want to do) this guy usually will "Win the price range" since he just got his car with all the body work done engine work done and all the finish work done for the price of a good paint job. is that what I want? nope I like working on the cars but some people just want a done deal.

Don't wanna rub anybody wrong but a maaco job on a Cuda? No Way. 5 grand would be a minimum if you have it stripped IMO. I am no everyday painter or collision guy either. I do know my way around the shop a little bit. What I don't get is that at no time in the thread has etch or epoxy over bare metal came into the discussion. That has to be first before any urethane primer goes down. If I had a whole car completely stripped it would already be in epoxy.

If you are going solid color I would talk it over with the guy. Less trouble and time. Maybe he will cut ya a little slack. Plus it can be painted in stages and/or disassembled as opposed to proper app of metallics.

Bottom line do you have more tools and time than money? Only you know the answer. Best Wishes.

:cya:

If you are planning on sanding the primer anyway, why don't you shoot the primer, sand it, and get it ready. Then bring it to a good shop to shoot it, then take it home for sanding and buffing. I have a shop near me with a state of the art booth and a great painter that will shoot a car for $1000.

-
Back