paint question

-

dodge71demon

Reaction score
Has anybody ever used a poly (metalic) paint without putting the metalic in it? I'm considering this with the A32 Light Blue Poly.There's reasons behind my madness (sometimes).I may order a sample of it with and without the metalic to compare.

It will change the color allot,if its the old polly colors asplesly. just spray it and don't pull the metallic as much!! the more you pull it the liter it will get....hope this helps

No point! Just order a single stage color and use hardener in it. Reguardless, the poly paint you want will still cost more even without the metallic mica in it!! It will be transparent as hell and the coverage will be the real issue. You will end up using twice the amount of paint needed to cover the substrate. PPG has an affordable line of products called Shopline. Your local paint supply can show you a chip book with just about any color you can imagine. They can even do custom color match if thats what you want.

Personally, if you are going to refinish your ride just use basecoat/clearcoat. Will be the last paint you ever need!! Never have to worry about waxing either, a coat of polish every 3-4 months and your good to go!

My madness is the person that usually paints for me is overwhelmed at the moment and I want to paint this project myself but want to paint it in pieces so that's why I'm trying to shy away from a metalic. I will be having the two tone blue interior so my exterior choices are liminted pretty much settled on WW1 white just looking at other options.I should be in paint by years end.Any other suggestions would be welcome --1969 Plymouth Valiant (plain jane)

No point! Just order a single stage color and use hardener in it. Reguardless, the poly paint you want will still cost more even without the metallic mica in it!! It will be transparent as hell and the coverage will be the real issue. You will end up using twice the amount of paint needed to cover the substrate. PPG has an affordable line of products called Shopline. Your local paint supply can show you a chip book with just about any color you can imagine. They can even do custom color match if thats what you want.

Personally, if you are going to refinish your ride just use basecoat/clearcoat. Will be the last paint you ever need!! Never have to worry about waxing either, a coat of polish every 3-4 months and your good to go!

CUUDAK is correct, the toners in metallic colors are very transparent so as to allow the metallics to reflect light back thru. The hiding properties would be terrible and the back ground substrate would reflect thru and wouldn't give you the result you want and would frankly be a nightmare to spray and to rematch.

.......... I want to paint this project myself but want to paint it in pieces so that's why I'm trying to shy away from a metalic..........

MISTAKE!!!

Not matter what paint you use this will bite you every time!!! Prep all parts and paint them at one time! If not, when you reassemble you WILL see a color shift and will look like ****.

Direction you spray the paint, air pressure, humidity, temperature, reducer/reduction all play a major factor when spraying paint! Better off mixing color in a large mixing jug and spray all the parts from the same mix, pressure, reducer, temperature and gun on the same day then topcoat.

X2 and for gods sake make shore its all the same color!!! or you WILL youes three times the amount........Artie

MISTAKE!!!

Not matter what paint you use this will bite you every time!!! Prep all parts and paint them at one time! If not, when you reassemble you WILL see a color shift and will look like ****.

Direction you spray the paint, air pressure, humidity, temperature, reducer/reduction all play a major factor when spraying paint! Better off mixing color in a large mixing jug and spray all the parts from the same mix, pressure, reducer, temperature and gun on the same day then topcoat.
X2!!!!!here big time X2!!!!!!!!!!

-
Back