paint question...

-
:evil4:

Not true, painted my demon with trunk hood and doors off, but painted at same time as body and you cant tell at all.

A good painter should be able to paint the car with the hood doors and trunk off and it match unless its tri coat such as pearls or candies/flake then its more difficult but solid colors and metallics are not a issue
My dad painted my demon and painted hundreds of cars and has done paint/body/frame work for 30+ years, every car they did a full resto on at the body shop he worked at when he painted them the doors hood and trunk were always off and sometimes the fenders, never had a problem with color matching.

Having a good quality paint and clear helps too.
Doors trunk and hood off my demon were painted flat on stands, had no issues with color match

Todays coatings are formulated with the idea of 'spray to hide', once hide is achieved, THEN STOP! It's done to try to make it easier for painters. Good painters it won't matter, they just know, but those with less experience, this helps a lot.

if your set on doing it yourself , shoot it all at the same time . the match would be way closer then at different times . jobs like this , we jam them ( paint the insides of everything , reassembly it , mask it all off , then shoot the rest . or the reverse jams last . you just have to do more masking off . and be sure use the proper paper and tape , you can mess up your work . good luck , i would think that if your selling the cuda . someone might just want it untouched , even if the paint is poor . its still the factory job and its never been crashed ! everyone can own a restored car , not everyone can own a factory matching car still in oem paint . again just my option . pomonamissel

For an inexperienced spray painter I suggest painting the vehicle assembled. Experienced painters have the ability to maintain application parameters (stroke speed, gun distance, overlap, etc.) where as amateur painters, not so much.

If you are an amateur painter I suggest starting out with a solid colour. You don't have to worry about defects such as mottle, streaking, or inconsistent appearance.

And, try to practice on some junk panels before you go pulling the trigger on a complete car.

My best suggestion is; take an auto refinishing course at a local college or night school. Some of the major refinish paint suppliers offer painter training courses, or at least they did a few years ago.

The end result will be a much better paint finish.

My $.02 for whatever it's worth.

:glasses7:

Attachments

• DSC00062.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 223
I am still debating what to do.. but as of now I will be at least painting inside doors, inside of deck lid and all jams.
Thanks BTW nice fish..

I am still debating what to do.. but as of now I will be at least painting inside doors, inside of deck lid and all jams.
Thanks BTW nice fish..

Thanks, the paint work isn't finished yet.

If you need some professional coaching on your efforts let me know via PM. If you're close enough to me I could come over and shoot it for you.

Attachments

• DSC00069.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 188
Did you shoot your Barracuda at home? Because it sure looks good, the paint scheme kinda reminds me of my 68 Dart I recently sold. I did a complete resto on the Dart minus the paint lol..

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-21-07-34-36.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 161
Did you shoot your Barracuda at home? Because it sure looks good, the paint scheme kinda reminds me of my 68 Dart I recently sold. I did a complete resto on the Dart minus the paint lol..

Yes, I shot it at home. I have access to a very sophisticated spray booth but decided not to drag it over there. I built some removable walls out of 2X3 and 6 mil clear plastic, affixed several large furnace filters to the bottom area of the plastic panels, and used two floor fans to move the air. Wet everything down to help with dust. The end result was a very clean (defect free) finish. And most importantly the furnace filters captured the overspray and 95% of the VOC's.

I still have the Canyon Red Pearl center stripe to apply as well as some hand pin-striping to do. Then a quick colour sand and polish.

What you don't see are the many hours spent trying to get the panels straight enough for paint. The front end panels are race weight fiberglass which is very wavey , the doors had some major door dents in them, the rear quarters were from Cross Canada Auto Body Supplies and just plain sucked as far as fit and surface quality. Next time I'll use AMD panels and Synergy Composites carbon fiber panels..

This Fish will be a "street legal" NSS or Hemi shootout car, thus the Nostalgia paint job.

sscuda could be your answer to the finish product , thats a great thing he's offering you . my hats is off to you for that sscuda . your a great guy , to help out this way . pm

sscuda could be your answer to the finish product , thats a great thing he's offering you . my hats is off to you for that sscuda . your a great guy , to help out this way . pm

Thanks for the compliment. I try to help when I can and for those who are willing to listen and learn.

I don't do this for a living anymore and I hate to see guys struggle, thus the offer. Plus I still get a lot of satisfaction laying down a good finish.

The offer still stands. And if any other member wants some help or guidance I`m here to help any way I can.

`Have gun, Will travel` (some of you old farts will get this) LOL!!!!

Thanks, the paint work isn't finished yet.

If you need some professional coaching on your efforts let me know via PM. If you're close enough to me I could come over and shoot it for you.

Exactly what I was thinking!
Hell of an offer sscuda! That is a beautiful scheme and paint job!

Darren is GG1 the orig color? My 69 is/was orig F8. Im not a huge fan of it but the paint shop is going to add a little more metallic to it. Nothing drastic but a tad more flake.
Good luck and post your progress I may just do my own as well.

Yes the original color is GG1. Seeing it's an matching numbers car I will be sticking with original color..

Thanks for the compliment. I try to help when I can and for those who are willing to listen and learn.

I don't do this for a living anymore and I hate to see guys struggle, thus the offer. Plus I still get a lot of satisfaction laying down a good finish.

The offer still stands. And if any other member wants some help or guidance I`m here to help any way I can.

`Have gun, Will travel` (some of you old farts will get this) LOL!!!!

I just read this post now... wow that is one heck of an offer... I am not sure if he knows where I am located or not (Sudbury) . But if that's the root I take I would make sure the Cuda's body would be ready for paint.. put him up in a hotel for the night and pay him for his time....

I just read this post now... wow that is one heck of an offer... I am not sure if he knows where I am located or not (Sudbury) . But if that's the root I take I would make sure the Cuda's body would be ready for paint.. put him up in a hotel for the night and pay him for his time....

Darren,

The offer is good. Sudbury is a little further than what I was hoping for but I have you covered

Let's take this discussion offline and we'll get you started.

PM me with your skill level, available body & paint related tools, garage description, condition of the car, and what level of refinishing (rotisserie resto to just a sand and paint or something in between) you are wanting. A budget might help too as paint and materials are freakin expensive.

And we'll go from there.

-
Back