Paint question

-

DesertRat

Leading edge boomer
Reaction score
Question for you body and paint guys, how many quarts of sprayable single stage color do you mix for the body and required jamming of a mopar A-body car. Assume good coverage in 3/4 coats on the exterior. Interior not included here, it is a different color.

Just for an example, I shot my Scamp with white over grey primer. Two coats on the whole car and then a third coat on roof, hood and trunk lid. I did not jam it but plan to in the future. I used 4:1:1 mix… paint, activator, reducer. I still have just short of a half gallon of what was a full gallon to begin with. I think one gallon of paint should be ok for what you're doing.
Gravity feed gun used.
IMG_20221002_213122.jpg

Last edited:
You have to pay attention to the mix ratio that the manufacturer calls for. If they call for a 1:1 mix ratio of basecoat to reducer, then that gives you 2 gallons of material. 2:1, 4:1 etc give you less but all brands don't cover the same.

PPG Shopline doesn't cover as well as other basecoats. A seasoned painter can probably get away with a gallon for the whole car with Shopline but a newbie like me would possibly need an extra quart just to be safe.

My dilemma is cost. I used PPG Concept on my last paint job and have about 2 quarts of color left, no reducer no catalyst. Also I have one unopened quart of sealer/cat. and one unopened quart of clear. I want to paint my current build the same color as my Barracuda using the same system. Jam everything straight single stage, seal the exterior and three coats of straight Concept color and three additional coats of 50/50 color/clear. The catalyst is $400/quart and I need to buy 1.25 quarts of cat + reducer. The mix is 4-1-1. I would need one more quart of clear and two more quarts of color so the shop is quoting me quite a total. They want me to paint base/clear but I am reluctant to use a different/cheaper product. Just about over the sticker shock and will order the Concept. I am trying to come up with how much color it would take to jam the entire car (1 quart) and if I can get there with three additional quarts of color. This build is a much higher level than the Barracuda was so I don't want to cheap out now after all the money already invested. The color is a custom red on the car in my avatar photo. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
It's a double kicker.

Over the top paint pricing and today's money only worth half of what it used to be.

-
Back