paint runs

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Ok sorta need help on the fly here. First coat down and I have runs. Do I keep going to the second coat or stop?

depending on where and how bad , i would stop , let it flash , wet paper it out with a block, then recoat it. do you have a pic?

I know there will be a lot of better responses, but I would think you would need to go ahead with the other coats and then address the runs when you're wetsanding and polishing. From what little I know if you don't put the second coat on now after the first coat flashes off then you're going to have to scuff the entire car before the second coat can be applied.

x2 use 1000 grit if there thick runs you can use a razor blade to cut it down faster than wet sand.Think about it if you add more paint that run will get thicker.I hope your unseeing base than clear.

I know there will be a lot of better responses, but I would think you would need to go ahead with the other coats and then address the runs when you're wetsanding and polishing. From what little I know if you don't put the second coat on now after the first coat flashes off then you're going to have to scuff the entire car before the second coat can be applied.

yes, but i think there is a 24 hour wait window with single stage for re-coating, i would have to pull up the tech sheet to be 100%

ooh sh8t, if it were me , i would wait and knock those down before putting down another coat. check your tech sheet and see what kind of window you have for re-coating. that looks to be going on MUCH better this time

Yep let it dry Josh, If it was still wet you could chase the runs off to even them out so you could wet sand and polish after.
The runs with all the fingers on them are a bastard to sand out.

single stage andthe tech sheet doesnt say anything about recoat time. All it says is recoat after 16hrs

im sure others have more experience and will chime in. i used SS on my charger, i got a few runs. i stopped, let dry enough to wet sand it smooth within about 20 hours then re-shot it, you could never tell it happened, and it came out sweet. be patient, you are getting there.

For a reshoot Josh i'd go with 400 wet.It'll be likely 3 days or so before you can sand.

Everyone has their own way of doing this- here is mine:

Not clear (no pun intended) to me if you are using single stage or 2 stage. Either way if the run is in the base-

If single stage- get it fixed or close to it before moving on. As someone mentioned it will only get thicker and more difficult as you build coats.

Sometimes the razor will pull off more that you want if its too wet/thick. I like to use some well soaked 1000 and very little water (to minimize mess since you cannot use solvent to clean up) to knock it down.

a damp lint free cloth to clean up and you are on your way.

If you get runs in the clear- i like to let it dry COMPLETELY the scrape down the run( not up as you may pry up the bead on the bottom) and sant 1000, then 1500 before polishing. good luck!

So what do I want to hit it with for grit wise and how soon?

i would let it sit for a good 8 - 10 hours or until you can block it with 320 wet without it balling up on the paper. then hit it with some wet 400-600 and go for it after 16 hours. thats what i did anyways. SS is hard paint, and i didnt want it to completely cure before going after it.

well this sucks. I guess im out all the mixed paint. I dont know why I thought I could do this myself when I mucked it up the first time.

no if I wait and sand them out. Will I have to sand the whole car?

I did not. i hit the problem areas, tacked the car down, flooded the floor with water and hit it again. plus it will give you time to pinpoint every area that needs attention. SS paint is very forgiving , but you want that last coat to be as perfect as you can get it.

well this sucks. I guess im out all the mixed paint. I dont know why I thought I could do this myself when I mucked it up the first time.

no worries Josh, you can do ! just be patient, my first time was with a metallic, you talk about a ***** , but it came out nice. it took a few tries !
your next coat will be the one that counts. just make sure your final mix is enough to do the entire car in one shot

-
Back