Paint stripper

-

dowboy1970

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Can you still buy paint stripper with methylene chloride and if so, where at?

Thanks in advance FABO.

For what its worth to you

On March 15, 2019, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) issued a final rule to prohibit the manufacture (including importing and exporting), processing, and distribution of DCM in all paint removers for consumer use, effective in 180 days. However, it does not affect other products containing DCM, including many consumer products not intended for paint removal.

On April 20, 2023, the EPA proposed a widespread ban on the production of DCM with some exceptions for military and industrial uses

In February 2013, the US Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health warned that at least 14 bathtub refinishers have died since 2000 from DCM exposure. These workers had been working alone, in poorly ventilated bathrooms, with inadequate or no respiratory protection, and no training about the hazards of DCM.[9][30][41] OSHA has since then issued a DCM standard.[42]

Kinda what I was afraid off.

Has anybody had any experience with the new strippers and if so, which one seems to work?

I have no experience with this but have watched a few videos seems like it will work

I used a stripper recently. It worked well on some paints but not others (not good on oem). It took one coat per application and lots of scraping. In the end I used 3M stripping discs.

I am just trying to strip an intake manifold that has two coats of primer over a coat of black over a coat of orange.
It is a Victor 340 so worth messing with but it is taking forever to get anywhere in my blast cabinet.

Its a mess.

Not sure what they were thinking?

I am just trying to strip an intake manifold that has two coats of primer over a coat of black over a coat of orange.
It is a Victor 340 so worth messing with but it is taking forever to get anywhere in my blast cabinet.

Its a mess.

How does you're blast cabinet work? Mine was a pos until I did the metering valve mod. They should come with one and not the crap siphon set-up.

How does you're blast cabinet work? Mine was a pos until I did the metering valve mod. They should come with one and not the crap siphon set-up.
I have blasted about 10 manifolds with no problem with it but I am interested in what you have done to yours.

This is the one I have,

24" x 48" Sandblast Cabinet

Its a mess.

I used to sandblast locomotives with a heavy duty sandblasting setup. The locomotives that had epoxy type paint and some even had a clear coat back in the '80s were extremely hard to remove. The ones that had a straight enamel paint, well it practically flew off them. My point is, the stronger the paint the harder it is to remove. You just have to have patience. :)

Naw, the gubmint's pretty much deballed everything that was good and actually WORKED.

Its a mess.

I get Kleen Strip paint stripper at ace hardware, and it has worked on everything really well.

The good stuff (supposed) is $200/gallon up here. I didn’t try it.

[QUOTE="dowboy1970, post: 1974623487, member: 9844]…
This is the one I have,

[/QUOTE]
You got a way better cabinet than mine. It might already have a metering valve. Look the mod up on YouTube.

[QUOTE="dowboy1970, post: 1974623487, member: 9844]…
This is the one I have,

You got a way better cabinet than mine. It might already have a metering valve. Look the mod up on YouTube.
[/QUOTE]

Mine does already have the metering valve.

I am pretty sure I am just battling some pretty stubborn paint.

Its still available with methylene chloride. Just gotta go through the hoops. Funny thing, you can go to amazon and buy straight methylene chloride by the gallons.

Its still available with methylene chloride. Just gotta go through the hoops. Funny thing, you can go to amazon and buy straight methylene chloride by the gallons.
What would you suggest for a small quanity?

Brake fluid works better than just about anything available now.

What would you suggest for a small quanity?
You can search to a website who sells it. You need to have a business license. I have the info somewhere but have not needed it as I have a decent stockpile of the illiterate people killing product.

the rustoluem "aircraft remover" works well, but it's expensive. while Jasco isn't as potent as it used to be, it's still the best i've found for removing paint from metal-- or at least what's avail. here in cali.

-
Back