Painted Bumblebee Stripe advice

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I will be painting my 69 Swinger soon and would rather have a painted stripe than a decal due to longevity . I am using a single stage urethane and no clear coat . If I use a stencil I know I must paint the tail portion white then apply the stencil then paint the red body colr and remove the stencil.
How do I make the edge of the stripe blend into the body color without a ridge if Im not using clear ?

Get the decal . Any future repairs would be much easier. The decals last a long time and can be replaced with no issue. If you insist on the cheaper way. Paint the stripe on the car not the car over the stripe.

Get the decal . Any future repairs would be much easier. The decals last a long time and can be replaced with no issue. If you insist on the cheaper way. Paint the stripe on the car not the car over the stripe.
The decal is the cheaper way.
My concern is will the decal start to lift over time or bubble etc .
I guess most cars have decals and owners are satisfied.

If you go with Phoenix Graphics, the decals will last a LONG time. I put these stripes on my Cuda 8.5 years ago, and they are just like new now. That being said, I agree with @Oldmanmopar, paint the stripes over the car's main paint color. Use fine line tape and regular masking tape. If you are not using clear coat. it is virtually impossible to paint the stripes on without a ridge. The only way I could think of is to spray 1 or two coats of body color, wait the allotted time for taping on your paint, mask off and paint the stripes, wait the allotted taping time again, then mask over the stripes EXACTLY to the edge or the stripes, then spray more body color until the level of the body color is even with the level of the stripes. Then, unmask the tape over the stipes. I have never done it, and I have never even heard of it being done. But you still might have a slight seem between the stripe and body color paint.

I will be painting my 69 Swinger soon and would rather have a painted stripe than a decal due to longevity . I am using a single stage urethane and no clear coat . If I use a stencil I know I must paint the tail portion white then apply the stencil then paint the red body colr and remove the stencil.
How do I make the edge of the stripe blend into the body color without a ridge if Im not using clear ?
I painted the stripe on top of my single stage urethane and no clear coat. I'm happy with the way it turned out. :thumbsup:

IMG_20220926_183340.jpg

IMG_20220926_183403.jpg

IMG_20220927_191801.jpg

IMG_20220927_191828.jpg

IMG_20220927_191851.jpg

IMG_20220927_191919.jpg

IMG_20220927_191945.jpg

IMG_20220928_172632.jpg

IMG_20220928_175508.jpg

IMG_20220928_172827.jpg

Wow ! Nice ! I don’t think I have the talent to do it freehand and will have to use a template .

-
Back