painters question

-

hamesdart

Reaction score
ok so i painted my dart a month or two ago.. ran into equiptment trouble.
i used a cheap spray gun and my brothers framing compressor which was like a 1 horse 2 gall tank and it never kept up with the air. and 1/4 inch line running 100 ft..... so very bad. haha.
Now im stil interested in painting so i went and got new goodies!!!
-60 gal campbell compressor 3 horse 10.2 avg SCFM at 90 PSI
- 50 ft. 3/8 hose for air.
- and 2 devilbliss finishline, sprayguns masterkit with cleaning kit and all the tips you could need.
- Should this set-up work?
im just doing little stuff here and there. harley tank and fenders...and a few old trucks.

You'll be close on cfm at 40 psi. The gun will use more than the head can put out. Make sure you have plenty of line for the air to cool and good filters.

Painting big panels that set up won't work great, it will do it. But, you have to keep in mind, the more the compressor runs, the more heat, which equals more moisture.

If it's humid where you live, it will be more difficult.

Like crackedback mentioned, condensation could be a factor, and it is the quickest way to F up a paint job. Try to find an inline air dryer that takes dessicant pucks to remove the moisture in the lines. Get an automatic valve on the bottom of you air tank that will drain the tank when there is no compressed air in it..........or just open the tank drain petcock a couple times a day.

Like Cracked said as well. CFMs will be your enemy. It makes a huge difference on the quality of atomization. Paint guns are huge air hogs. You can count on your CFMs to be about 20% less than the manufacturer's ratings. I bought my compressor based on the paint gun I'm using.

Some tips for you to reduce moisture and maintain CFM

-ALWAYS DRAIN TANK
-ADD ADDITIONAL DROPS WITH DRAINS TO YOUR HARD LINES
-USE GOOD FILTERS (one for big debris 5 micron, second one down to .1 micron)
-GET A DESSICANT FILTER (AIR GUARDIAN IS ABOUT $75 AND CAN DO A FEW CARS) OR GET THE LITTLE DISPOSSIBLE ONES (not sure how well they really work)
-USE HIGH/FOW COUPLERS. THEY MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE. CHEAP WAY IS TO DRILL OUT YOUR 3/8 LINES AND COUPLERS SLIGHTLY. THEY MAY BREAK EASIER BUT ARE CHEAP.

Those are only a few things I could think of.

yah all goood good options.
Im gonna run all the filters and dryers... but overall im just doing harley stuff...
tank,fenders,maby fairing. so not real big peices. cfm is a little under
my cfm was i think about 10.2 at 90 psi and my gun says it only requirs a 3hp compressor with 13 cfm @ 23 psi

All and all before with a low end gun and a very very sorry tiny compressor i shot my entire car with no filters or dryers and it was like 1.5 hp w/2 gal tank and 100ft of 1/4 hose and i still painted my whole dart and came out decent. this tank is 60 gal 3 hp with 10.2 cfm.
i think it should be a huge improvement

-
Back