Painting a 340 Crank Pulley - Questions..

-

GY3 71 Demon

Reaction score
I was thinking about painting my crank pulley since it looks pretty dingy.

My questions for those that have removed that pulley, is it a pain to get the crank pulley off and then reinstall? I've never removed one - I believe there's six bolts?

Anyway, I don't know if the bolts are torqued high, or they come right off. I thought about trying to paint the pulley while it's on the car but with such limited room, I don't know if that's even possible.

Any insight would be appreciated... :prayer:

Thanks.

they come right off, GET to work!:D

The harmonic balancer will take a little bit more work.

And don't over tighten the bolts when you put it back on or you will rip the threads right out of the balancer. And yeah it only goes on one way you will have to keep rotating it until all the holes line up.

And don't over tighten the bolts when you put it back on or you will rip the threads right out of the balancer. And yeah it only goes on one way you will have to keep rotating it until all the holes line up.

Thanks for the advice - I'm gonna' get to work ASAP. As suggested, I'll try and remove it from underneath - there's probably more room.

One last thing - does anybody happen to know the torque specs for the pulley bolts so I don't strip the threads in the harmonic balancer?

Thanks again... :toothy9:

You might have to hit it with a rubber hammer to knock it loose once the bolts are out.

I believe they are 5/16" bolts which means they should have a torque spec of abouty 30 lbs

When I took off the crankshaft pulley the bolts seemed like they weren't very tight - in fact they felt like they were just snug.

So I checked in one of my old manuals to see what they should be torqued at. And according to the Chilton book, the vibration dampener bolts should be torqued to only 9 ft. pounds.

Wow, 9 ft. lbs - that seems awfully low - does anyone else have another service manual that can verify if that's correct? :-k

I certainly don't want to strip the dampener threads, but I don't want the pulley flying off either.

Thanks.

My 69 factory service manual states 200 in/lb for the vib damper bolts(5/16-24) for small blocks

Thanks for checking. :D

If my math is right, that is about 16.5 ft. lbs.

I don't know if the model year makes a difference (mine is a 71) but 16.5 ft. lbs. sure seems more appropriate than 9ft. lbs.

Unless I find something else that says otherwise, I'll go with the 16.5 ft lbs...

Thanks again! :prayer:

Thanks for checking. :D

If my math is right, that is about 16.5 ft. lbs.

I don't know if the model year makes a difference (mine is a 71) but 16.5 ft. lbs. sure seems more appropriate than 9ft. lbs.

Unless I find something else that says otherwise, I'll go with the 16.5 ft lbs...

Thanks again! :prayer:

No sweat, and yer conversion is right...chk to make sure the bolts are 5/16, I will chk to see if I have 71 specs

-
Back