Painting a Steering Wheel?

-

scooby67

Reaction score
Hi guys. I'd like to paint the steering wheel on my 64 Valiant from brown to black. I realize it's a hard plastic material. Can it be dyed and will it adhere or is it more advisable to shoot it with an enamel or urethane paint and if so, what adhesion promoter is required? Thanks!

Hi guys. I'd like to paint the steering wheel on my 64 Valiant from brown to black. I realize it's a hard plastic material. Can it be dyed and will it adhere or is it more advisable to shoot it with an enamel or urethane paint and if so, what adhesion promoter is required? Thanks!

I sanded mine down (after fixing it) and used bulldog plastic adhesion promoter, sealer,primer and then regular base coat/clearcoat auto paint on mine.

it's just a little broke after I was able to get it off the shaft.
View attachment DSCF3013.jpg

fixed using pc7 epoxy putty (takes forever to dry but does not shrink after fixing the cracks) then bulldog adhesion promoter,sealer and then primer. I could have skipped the sealer and it woulld have worked the same.
View attachment DSCF2882.jpg

here it is with the 4 coats primer and sanded
View attachment DSCF2885.jpg

first coat of color
View attachment DSCF3012.jpg

last coats with a pearl clearcoat on it to give it a sparkle
View attachment DSCF3011.jpg

Then I discovered the after the convertible top came in that it was the WRONG:banghead: shade of brown $%^#$%#^ now I have to repaint the door tops. dash top and steering column and wheel %^#^# ah well it'll be easier than the first time anyway#-o

I just sanded, solvent cleaned and painted with acrylic enamel...the same paint I used on the dash and other interior trim. It's been on for ten years and is just now beginning to show wear. I didn't change color, so that helped.

FWIW, I used JB Weld to repair a couple of cracks and it has held just fine.

I was just getting ready to start a thread on steering wheel restoration tips... You beat me to it 👍 I've got some work to do.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 180

FYI - your natural skin oils will break down the paint finish over time. Some paint finishes will break down faster than others. A 2K epoxy urethane top coat may be your best bet.

Prep the steering wheel like you would for any other finish and wipe with a good naptha based pre-paint prep product, and closely followed by a plastic adhesion promoter, then topcoat ASAP.

Good Luck!!!

:glasses7:

-
Back