Painting an Engine Questions

-

roosduster

Colorado Mopar
Reaction score
I plan on pulling my engine and repainting it. I plan on using DupliColor Engine Paint. Has anyone done this before and have any suggestions on what to do? Im looking for any and all suggestions. What is a good product to remove the old paint? Also what is a good product(s) to use to mask off parts that I do not want paint on? Thanks

Clean, clean and once it's clean........do it one more time. To clean it, there is a bunch of stuff, opinions etc...but the last cleaning step should be some kind of metal prep before paint product. Any local autoparts store should have some.

Masking tape works to mask off the engine. If the paint is not flaking off, leave it......if flaking wire brushes or a black biscuit wheel on a 3/8" cordless drill works great to remove the paint.

yea and one more thing when you think its clean. Clean it 2 more times. Then im sure you know to use high temp paint. Lay on a few coats it should be fine

Clean it with purple power from Advance Auto. It leaves no residue. I clean mine with Gunk then wash it down with purple power, it gets the gunk residue off.

I started with a blue slant...

100_3818.jpg

A few days later it was down to bare metal with a drill and a few wire wheels (get the multi pack from Harbor Freight), use eye protection because those little wire bastards like to fly off and stick in your skin, I always use a torch to chase out the water and warm up the block/head/bracket/whatever I am painting so it wont rust after the primer is on, a few cans of engine primer first, wait for it to dry, torch again just enough to chase out any moisture but not enough to burn the primer, a few cans of engine color, dry time, then about 4 cans of engine clear. I go over kill on the clear because I like shiny!

It will come out looking very nice!

(I didn't get all the valve cover because it is going away soon.)
100_4089.jpg

100_4239.jpg

100_4295.jpg

Here is my 360 after the rebuild...

360.jpg

and here it is after about 10,000 miles, new cam, t-ram and a wire wheeling still waiting for paint.

100_1113.jpg

100_1116.jpg

I started with a blue slant...

100_3818.jpg

A few days later it was down to bare metal with a drill and a few wire wheels (get the multi pack from Harbor Freight), use eye protection because those little wire bastards like to fly off and stick in your skin, I always use a torch to chase out the water and warm up the block/head/bracket/whatever I am painting so it wont rust after the primer is on, a few cans of engine primer first, wait for it to dry, torch again just enough to chase out any moisture but not enough to burn the primer, a few cans of engine color, dry time, then about 4 cans of engine clear. I go over kill on the clear because I like shiny!

It will come out looking very nice!

(I didn't get all the valve cover because it is going away soon.)
100_4089.jpg

100_4239.jpg

100_4295.jpg

Here is my 360 after the rebuild...

360.jpg

and here it is after about 10,000 miles, new cam, t-ram and a wire wheeling still waiting for paint.

100_1113.jpg

100_1116.jpg

Thanks, I just pulled the engine so I should start painting it soon I hope. After I clean, clean and clean some more.

A power washer would help a lot. I would also wash it down with lacquer thinner when you are done cleaning it, it will remove the residue from the cleaners which paint won't adhere to. Also when you get it painted, put 1 or 2 good coats of engine clear over it, it will help keep it clean. The oil and grease don't stick to the clear as easy as it sticks to the paint.

Scamp, here's a question unrelated to this post regarding to your slant's headers. I know the benefit of isung an X or H pipe in the exhaust of a V8 engine. Do you know if the same benefit is available to the 6 cylinder engines?

The only time I ran these headers was in the 48 for about 10 seconds while dumping gas down the carb right after I wired it. I would think that you would get the same benefits as on a V8 but I'm not 100% sure. Good question for slantsix.org though, try doing a search for "cross pipe" over there and see what comes up.

Roos, after pulling the motor i use a good dose of easy off oven cleaner and let her set a while then pressure wash it real good. Then i blow it off with air nozzel. Check it to see if any more EO is needed. If so hit it again till satisfied. Blow off again. Rather than a torch for drying purposes i have a grooming blower that i bought back when the boy and i had reg. Angus cattle. It's a very large blow dryer with heat and does a great job for the same thing Scamp stated. Another liitle tip on protecting areas that you don't want painted. Some items you can use aluminum foil like on fuel lines or what ever you are trying to protect. The benefit here is in the ease of stripping it off. Tape can be a *****.
Small Block

Thanks for the replies, I do have a power washer and will use that. What would be best to cover the exhaust outlets when power washing? I have some stock style gaskets I was thinking of putting tape over for when I paint but I do not know if those would hold water out or not. I do plan on using clear after the paint, its good to hear oil and grease does not stick to that quite as easy as it does to paint.

I plan on pulling my engine and repainting it. I plan on using DupliColor Engine Paint. Has anyone done this before and have any suggestions on what to do? Im looking for any and all suggestions. What is a good product to remove the old paint? Also what is a good product(s) to use to mask off parts that I do not want paint on? Thanks

Kerosene first then purple power. High temp duplicolor engine paint primer 2 coats then paint till bomb runs out! Good Luck!!

67 eng paint.jpg

-
Back