Painting car seperately, will there be color difference?

-

Andre68

Reaction score
In the process of painting my bros 64 cuda. We have been doing body work and priming on the car but when it comes to painting it I kinda want to paint it piece at a time, (fender panels, hood and deck lid, doors, then body and bay).

So I wouldn't be able to paint all of these in the same day because 1, my garage isn't that big and 2) I would like to give it at least 24hrs before I touch them.

I just want to be able to give everything full coverage, and paint everything vs painting all at once and not getting the door jambs and all of that.

If I paint like this, will the car have mismatching colors do to being painted on seperate days?

Thanks!!!

With metallic paint, just make sure you paint it hanging the way it's mounted on the car. So fi, don't hang the doors upright.

Don't think it doesn't matter much when painting non-metallics.

Yes it will matter unless your overspray is exactly the same each time

With metallic paint, just make sure you paint it hanging the way it's mounted on the car. So fi, don't hang the doors upright.

Don't think it doesn't matter much when painting non-metallics.

Yea metallics need to be sprayed with the car together to get the same look to every body panel. If you paint the car then the doors, hood etc once you put it together it might not match but non metallics will be fine to spray seperately .

Even when shooting non-metallics you "could" get some variation. Different mix if the paint was purchased on different days, different mix while you mix it up prior to spraying.

That said, I painted my car in parts. I then assembled to do the black hood, fender tops and around the door glass. It was assembled to apply the stripes and clear also.
C

-
Back