Painting Door Handles???

-

Jlcaptain24

Reaction score
Anybody have any luck painting or powder coating the exterior door handles?? I think it'd hold up fine, but I wonder about the thumb button sliding in and out all the time...wearing the paint/powdercoat off.

If you want to know about powder coating get a hold of Leanne, she goes by CudaChick1968. She will be able to answer your questions, she does a fantastic job of powder coating parts. She has done a lot of work for people on this site.

X 2 on CudaChick1968 for powder coating.

Either strip off the chrome plating or use a self-etching primer before painting. To slow down wear on paint on button, shrink wrap it with clear plastic.

Clear "moving" tape can be used as well but it is difficult to manage the transition from the face to the side of the button. If you decide to use tape, consider using "wet" water to allow the tape to be set without worrying about peeling the paint off.

If you want to know about powder coating get a hold of Leanne, she goes by CudaChick1968. She will be able to answer your questions, she does a fantastic job of powder coating parts. She has done a lot of work for people on this site.

X2 she has done some work for me she is firstssssssssssssssssssssss class.

What they said - CudaChick is the Mistress of Metal and Primadonna of Powder Coating.

I have painted a few. Put grease on the push button. Make sure you scuff the chrome real good or sand blast them

Sandblasting mine and powdercoating them gloss black next week actually :).

I'll post some photos of the results so you can judge by yourself.

Powdercoating should resist pretty well over time with the button sliding in/out as it's a super durable process, much better in that case than painting imo.

You could just leave the button chrome. It is pretty small and I doubt if it would be very noticeable.

Sandblasting mine and powdercoating them gloss black next week actually :).

I'll post some photos of the results so you can judge by yourself.

Powdercoating should resist pretty well over time with the button sliding in/out as it's a super durable process, much better in that case than painting imo.

Awesome...I'd be interested in your thoughts on it once it's done

First off, thanks for the mentions gentlemen!! :-D

Secondly, please see if a magnet will stick to one first -- I believe our beloved A Body door handles are pot metal but I have yet to try to coat one. You may end up opening up a big can of worms you'd rather have left closed. See this thread (Post #6 specifically) for details.

Hit me up if you have any questions or need more information!

-
Back