painting fiberglass bumpers?

-

thanson_mopar

Reaction score
I'm thinking about fiberglass front and rear bumpers. But I dont want body color, thinking something like a gunmetal grey, silver or something inbetween. Has anyone else done this, or does this just sound stupid.

You could do them with a cast aluminum look. that would be cool. I'm thinking about doing this to my steel ones for now cause they look pretty bad.

thanson,

What ever colour you decide to paint the bumpers I strongly suggest you use a 2K base coat /clear coat material. The 2k clear coat will protect the base colour to some degree.

FYI - my acid dipped steel rear bumper and carbon fiber front bumper are painted Mercedes silver 2k base / clear and I like the way they look.

sscuda

Glass bumpers are nice BUT, nothing like good old steel to keep from a lot of damage. Here is a pic of my Dart after a bimbo pulled out in front of me at 25MPH. If I had put a glass bumper on it the damage would have been a lot worse. As it is her insurance company is paying out around $9k to get it fixed.

Larry

IM000451.jpg

thanson,

What ever colour you decide to paint the bumpers I strongly suggest you use a 2K base coat /clear coat material. The 2k clear coat will protect the base colour to some degree.

FYI - my acid dipped steel rear bumper and carbon fiber front bumper are painted Mercedes silver 2k base / clear and I like the way they look.

sscuda

Thanks for the tip, i'll keep that in mind.

Glass bumpers are nice BUT, nothing like good old steel to keep from a lot of damage. Here is a pic of my Dart after a bimbo pulled out in front of me at 25MPH. If I had put a glass bumper on it the damage would have been a lot worse. As it is her insurance company is paying out around $9k to get it fixed.

Larry

I completely agree, I would much rather run steel bumpers, but my bumpers are not perfect, by the time I fix them up and have them re-chromed, It will cost a small fortune just for the bumpers. I don't have that kind of extra cash right now.....so if anything the fiberglass bumpers will not be permanent, just temporary.

I shot these glass bumpers with alsa "killer chrome"

wow, that is pretty impressive for paint. who makes that?

Eastwood has a product similar to that alsa "killer chrome". I've never used it but their products are really nice. I've used some of their other stuff and it was good quality for a fair price.

-
Back