painting grille

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I painted the grille light argent. How do I get the black louvers on the headlight bezels to look crisp and clean.

either remove the silver paint, or paint over it with crisp black ?

Great reply. Do u do all of ur own work?.. I believe the light argent ddl acrylic laquer by ppg is the correct shade and small metallic flakes. That gets sprayed on first. The bottom of all the small louver holes in the headlight bezels seem to be impossible to mask. I even tried liquid mask and had almost impossible results to get the silver/black lines to look clean/crisp. I was interested in how others may have achieved this. Now I know some folks here could care less about looks. I am just glade I will not only end up with looks but also a very serious 416 cu in 550 hp stroker motor but I would never try and help somebody who needs it in such a stupid way. Hey maybe if ut real nice I will teach u how to build one. Moron.

Great reply. Do u do all of ur own work?.. I believe the light argent ddl acrylic laquer by ppg is the correct shade and small metallic flakes. That gets sprayed on first. The bottom of all the small louver holes in the headlight bezels seem to be impossible to mask. I even tried liquid mask and had almost impossible results to get the silver/black lines to look clean/crisp. I was interested in how others may have achieved this. Now I know some folks here could care less about looks. I am just glad I will not only end up with looks but also a very serious 416 cu in 550 hp stroker motor but I would never try and help somebody who needs it in such a stupid way. Hey maybe if ur nice I will teach u how to build one. Moron.

Great reply. Do u do all of ur own work?.. I believe the light argent ddl acrylic laquer by ppg is the correct shade and small metallic flakes. That gets sprayed on first. The bottom of all the small louver holes in the headlight bezels seem to be impossible to mask. I even tried liquid mask and had almost impossible results to get the silver/black lines to look clean/crisp. I was interested in how others may have achieved this. Now I know some folks here could care less about looks. I am just glade I will not only end up with looks but also a very serious 416 cu in 550 hp stroker motor but I would never try and help somebody who needs it in such a stupid way. Hey maybe if ut real nice I will teach u how to build one. Moron.
Really? The dude offered a suggestion and you blast him for it? Kind of uncalled for really. I didn't see him being sarcastic or calling you names.

Yikes... Not sure why you are so frustrated. Anyway, what care are you working on? I know there a few very detail threads on how to restore a 70/71 dart grille.

Just did not sit right with me as a valid answer and more like somebody posting a smart *** remark. Read It again? But after seeing his car I can see why I got the answer I got.

Just did not sit right with me as a valid answer and more like somebody posting a smart *** remark. Read It again? But after seeing his car I can see why I got the answer I got.
First, you insult him, now insulting his car. Dude, wth is your problem? I did read it, multiple times, I'm an educated man and I see zero evidence of a smart *** comment from him. And apparently I wasn't the only one who noticed it, see above.

If you're not willing to field answers to a question you posed, don't ask a question then.

All I am saying is that the answer was the most stupid response to the question.
Not really but hey, maybe you'll be nicer to the next person to who tries to help. Good luck to you

There are no short cuts or easy ways when restoring grilles. I am doing my 67 Barracuda now and it will take me a month to get what I want. I am polishing all the color off the grille and masking it back for a gloss black in the channel surround. Then I will mask all the bright work off and paint the argent silver over with 71 cuda flat metallic black with the egg crate grille the same flat metallic black. When I unmask it all the bright work will be polished and the grille will be my way, but it will take time, work and money. BTW, I am coloring my turn signal lenses amber as well for another non-stock my touch. So, make yourself a plan, execute the plan and post us photos of the results.

Pin striping tape is your friend. It will give crisp lines but is time consuming at best. If there is a repop grill you might want to consider that....

Hey thanks. Looking closely it does appear mopar had some sort of custom made drop in mask and then sprayed as I can see the slight overspray even when they did the job. I think I will need a steadier hand and maybe a finer brush. And as I guess I have shown. Being a 100% disabled vietnam veteran I really dont have a lot of tollerance for things which make no sense. I was looking for a grid coordinate and am instructed to well just point the canon in that general direction and fire. Sorry man. My world dont work that way.and yes I will post many photos when I am done including the epoxy resin repairs and exactly how to get out the other end.

Not familiar with that grille detail. If I can't do a clean tape line sometimes I will tape over it and cut it to the line with a fresh utility knife blade. Another way I learned was to paint the edges or small details with vasaline using a model brush. Spray paint and when dry it will just wipe off.

Another option is to find a pinstriper in your area. I just had an up and coming young gun striper do the 1/8 and 1/16 factory stripes down the sides of my Scamp in an olive green to match the roof. I've seen them do hubcaps, license plates,etc. Grille detail should be a snap for them.

-
Back