painting inside the trunk

-

67barracuda

Reaction score
The car is going in for paint next week and what do you think?
Should I have he paint the inside of the trunk area the same color as the car, por15 it or just black spray paint?

If you want to keep it as it was when it came from the factory, then paint it the same as the body. The spackle type paint came on Chebbies, but does an excellent job when you're doing something like intimidator did to the rear of his car. POR 15 usually causes more problems down the road than it solves in the short term. Just my $0.02. :)

OldVart said:
The spackle type paint came on Chebbies, :)
I never owned a chebby so wouldn't know what they have but have seen this and it made mine look better than just black paint like I had before. The same color as the car would look real nice.

Intimidator, I agree 100% with you. When you do major work in the trunk area, that spackle paint really hides little defects well and sure does look much better than plain black or good old rust. :)

I agree Spackle is the way to go for me. after I mini tubbed my 67 that's what I did.
paint may look perty but up keep may get old.
besides I'm usually more interested in what's under the hood

I disagree with the POR15 statements.

I wire brushed the surface rust in my trunk, painted it with POR15, primed it with the POR primer and painted the trunk with the Sublime body color. That was over 5 years ago and 30k+ miles and other than dust and dirt the trunk looks as good as the day I did it. I also did the floors in the car with PO15 and when I had the carpet up last year to add another layer of sound deadner the POR was still in great shape and not lifting at all.

If your trunk has any surface rust at all it needs to be completely removed unless you use a product like POR15 or the paint will lift. If there is no rust then POR is not necessary just use a good quality primer/sealer under the top coat.

Dave, if POR15 is put on as you described, ie, wire brush the surface rust and paint it on, then it seems to last well in low or no traffic areas such as the trunk or interior floor boards. However, I've seen a lot of vehicles where the POR 15 was in wheel wells or on the bottom of the car, and if one little breach occurs in the POR 15 surface, then you have a major problem with rust forming under the POR 15 layer. As with any other product of this type, you have people who swear by it and those who swear at it. :)

Most all the bare surfaces on the bottom side of my Barracuda are coated with POR15 too. It's held up there just as well. When POR15 (or any of the other similar products) is applied correctly over a rusted surface it's almost impossible to get off. As for a breach, much less likely to happen with it than a conventional coating, you can beat on it with a hammer and not make a mark.

The thing that sold me on it was my cellar bulked, its metal and the stair insert in the ground is also metal. Every year I had to wire wheel and repaint the dam thing. I tried every rust preventative the hardware store had to no avail. Almost 10 years ago now I knocked off the loose rust, painted with POR15, primed with POR primer and painted with red enamel. I haven't had to touch it since and it takes quite a beating.

The car is going in on Saturday for paint.
I am going to have him spray the trunk the same color as the car. If it shows to meany defects, then I will use the rattle can spackle.

-
Back