Painting metal dash

-

slx70

Reaction score
I would like to paint the metal dash in my 1970 swinger, dash pad has aready been removed and painted with sem color coat.also gages and other have been removed. I prefer not to remove the metal dash frame from the car. It is currently a flat green I wish to paint it black can anyone advise me on a good method to go about this task. should I sand it? what about primer, what kind should i use. what kind of paint ? I do not have all the equipment to spray it. so I will have use rattle cans Thanks.

I would like to paint the metal dash in my 1970 swinger, dash pad has aready been removed and painted with sem color coat.also gages and other have been removed. I prefer not to remove the metal dash frame from the car. It is currently a flat green I wish to paint it black can anyone advise me on a good method to go about this task. should I sand it? what about primer, what kind should i use. what kind of paint ? I do not have all the equipment to spray it. so I will have use rattle cans Thanks.

I would like to know also, as I want my dash to be black (tan now) and have a black dash from another car, but don't want what sounds like a huge pain to pull the windshield to swap them. Seems like painting the dash in the car will be a pain, but less of a pain than dealing with the windshield.

bump

I was able to pull it off when I repainted the dash frame on my Olds 4-4-2. Masking was a *****, plain and simple. I used some pretty thin masking tape so that I was able to curve it somewhat. First I masked off along the bottom of the windshield at the front of the dash. Don't be afraid to use several short pieces because you are trying to lay down the edge at the very end. I have smaller hands and it was still tough to get in there. Then I just added additional layers of wider tape to move the edge out a ways so I could tape some paper (news, of course) to cover most of the glass, A-pillars, etc. I would sand first to make sure you have a good surface for the new paint, cuz you certainly don't want to have to do this again. You probably could get away with not using a primer, but I probably would.

Most auto body suppliers can custom mix paint in rattle cans, but it isn't cheap. Still less than buying all the equipment if you don't have it. Krylon makes what they call semi-flat black paint. It is a satin black that is very similar to a lot of the chassis black finishes. I suggest getting a can of that and spraying a test panel to see if it is the finish you are after. If not, try a couple of brands because anything you don't use can be used to refurbish other parts. Good luck! L8r

John deere makes a paint in a rattle can called blitz black that is almost exact to paint on dash. It is uv resistant and was used on their farm equip dashes. Cost is about 7 to 8 dollars a can.

-
Back