Painting my steering wheel

-

FriscoWilly

Reaction score
Hello all, anyone out there ever painted their steering wheel? It's blue now and I want to paint it black, but don't want it to wear off quickly. Any suggestions on the prep process and what brand of paint to use?

Try some SEM spray paint. Choice of the pro's.
I have used it on door panels,seat back,etc. Works great.

SEM:Color Coat Landau Black 15013

www.semproducts.com

I've had good success using a plastic adhesion promoter and spraying with the same paint I would any other part: urethane. The following pic is the dash of the '57 in my avatar. Dash, steering wheel, column, and surrounds all painted with single stage urethane with a flattening agent. (Yeah, I know, but it's the only pic loaded in the computer....)

'57 Interior.jpg

I've had good success using a plastic adhesion promoter and spraying with the same paint I would any other part: urethane. The following pic is the dash of the '57 in my avatar. Dash, steering wheel, column, and surrounds all painted with single stage urethane with a flattening agent. (Yeah, I know, but it's the only pic loaded in the computer....)
:cheers:

ramenth has it just right. Use the Sem adhesion promoter, then use the same paint procedure you would with any of your sheermetal.

Like the folks here said :happy10:
Just one more peace of advise, Take your time on the wheel, It seems like folks want to hit it with the next coat to soon on these small part's 8)
I have in the past and now I know better :-D Enjoy :cheers:

Like the folks here said :happy10:
Just one more peace of advise, Take your time on the wheel, It seems like folks want to hit it with the next coat to soon on these small part's 8)
I have in the past and now I know better :-D Enjoy :cheers:

Good advise, memike! Gotta follow the paint manufacturer's flash out times.

clean the wheel several times with scrub brush and purple power and then clean again with wax and grease remover

I painted mine with spray paint. Primer, paint then put a few coats of clear on it. I was going to put a leather wrap around it as I did not think it wold of held up well. I could not find a wrap in a color I liked and ended up getting a Grant steering wheel so it was not on there very long.

FriscoWilly, 2 years ago I used Krylon Fusion for plastic on my steering
wheel and it has worked out great. No issues at all. Easy prep and cost
less than $5.00 at WalMart.

I used the plastic / vinyl die paint also and it worked well.

I also used hot glue to fill in the big cracks.

Be sure to clean it well and remove any loose peaces.

Prep wipe with a denatured alcohol to remove all print's after a good cleaning like waggin said, Prep wipe is a must do.

-
Back