Painting Ralley wheel centers.

-

BigStrok3

Mopar!
Reaction score
How would I go about doing this without getting paint on the center or the chrome outside ring? I guess I could mask it with tape but it would be hard to do. Any pointers? Thanks

Just do it as you described tape the edge and center off,its pretty easy just use the blue painters tape and trim with a razor blade,as far as paint i've found that the "grille" silver works pretty good oh the center caps..

I painted the centers on these wheels. Just cover the chrome with masking tape and use an exacto knike to trim it. Took me a couple of hours.

NewTires001-2.jpg

Thats the trick...trim the tape with a razor blade. Professional results every time.

Back in the old days when we couldn't afford that expensive painters tape, we used Vaseline....(this outta open all kinds of remarks)

Back in the old days when we couldn't afford that expensive painters tape, we used Vaseline....(this outta open all kinds of remarks)

I've used this trick before on other stuff, spread vasoline on what you don't want painted (paint won't stick to it) after paint dries, wipe off vasoline. But if you have masking tape and a razor blade, I'd go that route.

Jason

You can buy fine line tape at an automotive store in 1/4 inch width , you can stretch this stuff to go around turns works well on the outside edges then use masking tape on inside

I have been professionally painting Auto's, houses, ect. for about 12-13 years and it just makes me laugh every time I see something like this. NO OFFENCE!!! But people always think that these kind of things are way harder than they really are. THEY ARE REALLY EASY!!!! Just use the tape that everyone is suggesting and all will be well. Take your time taping it off. Make sure it is sealed. And use a razor blade if you need to. Then when you have taped off the line,or border, just tape down paper to the tape. Using the tape as the border. You can use any kind of paper. You'll see how easy it really is.

I've always just masked off the middle of the center cap and sprayed it. Then after it is dry take fine steel whool to remove the overspray from the chrome edge.

You guys are all doing it the hard way! Just take some laquer thinner, dab some on a rag and carefully rub the outer ring and eges of the center cone. VERY easy and very cheap!! Just don't put too much on the rag so it gets on the painted area that you want to leave silver.

-
Back