Painting Steel Wheels?

-

JGC403

Reaction score
I was going to have the tire removed then sandblast and paint the entire wheel. I was just wondering if painting the lip where the tire bead seats would cause sealing problems?

No, it won't. I have some that were painted from the factory where the bead seats

no it wont

Do you have a picture with those wheels on your car you can post? I have the old style in the front and have a couple newer ones like yours I was gonna run in the back. I figured they'd look goofy. But you can hardly notice in that picture you posted. I'm wondering what they look like on the car.

No, it won't. I have some that were painted from the factory where the bead seats

Do you have a picture with those wheels on your car you can post? I have the old style in the front and have a couple newer ones like yours I was gonna run in the back. I figured they'd look goofy. But you can hardly notice in that picture you posted. I'm wondering what they look like on the car.
i have two sets , the blue ones are 15 x 7 lebaron wheels in the rear and 15 x 6 1/5 in the front. the yellow wheels are the older style 15 x 7 in the back and 14 x 5 1/2 in the front

pics arent very good

Attachments

• d317.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 406
  • d311.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 409
i have two sets , the blue ones are 15 x 7 lebaron wheels in the rear and 15 x 6 1/5 in the front. the yellow wheels are the older style 15 x 7 in the back and 14 x 5 1/2 in the front

pics arent very good

Is there a reason you didn't run the newer lebaron 15 x 7s all the way around? Also, what size tires are you running?

Sorry for the hijack- consider it a bump for ya.

Is there a reason you didn't run the newer lebaron 15 x 7s all the way around? Also, what size tires are you running?
i only have 2 of the 15x7 lebaron steels. the tires on the blue pair are 235/70/15 and the tires on the yellow 15x7 are 225/70/15

What are the tires sizes on front? Thanks!
the fronts on the blue wheels are 195/65/15 and the yellow are 185/65/14.

i have centerlines on the charger now, so one of these days im going to paint the blue fronts yellow and stick them on the front of the duster lol..maybe

I was going to have the tire removed then sandblast and paint the entire wheel. I was just wondering if painting the lip where the tire bead seats would cause sealing problems?

I always paint the lips to prevent them from rusting after tire installation. They use soap to lube the tire as an aid in mounting them and while they are not suppossed to be, some soaps are a bit caustic and will rust the steel rim. A good coat of paint on them before mounting will extend the wheels life. No sealing problems will result from a coat of paint.

Also, if you are on a budget, 80 grit paper works great for breaking up the scale on the beads, a heavy coat of rattle can primer and dupli-color wheel paint (acrylic enamel based type) can be applied over almost anything and sticks great. I have a set of Duster Rally's that were rattled 15 yrs ago and still holding up.

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure, before I pull the tires off and start blasting them.

Also, if you are on a budget, 80 grit paper works great for breaking up the scale on the beads, a heavy coat of rattle can primer and dupli-color wheel paint (acrylic enamel based type) can be applied over almost anything and sticks great. I have a set of Duster Rally's that were rattled 15 yrs ago and still holding up.

I was going to use base coat/ clear coat.

-
Back