Painting Sugestion

-

1966 dart wagon

Reaction score
Well i finaly broke down and have my complet engine bay stripped, i was wondering when i sand blast i wanna primer right away what kinda primer should i use. i was thinking epoxy primer, maybe nason, also what color was the k member painted along with the steering box, heater blower motor, and mastercylinder, was it satin black, or gloss black. Thanks :)

I swear by the epoxy primer stuff, you can even get white and tint it close to your final color.

The K frame was satin black. Steering box was natural steel if a power unit of aluminum if its a manual box. Master cyl, would be either black or natural depending on who the supplier was.

As soon as you finish sandblasting, spray on a couple of coats of epoxy primer. Depending on the product you use, you'll have anywhere from 3 to 7 days after spraying the epoxy that you can spray your final paint right on top of the epoxy without having to sand it at all.

We used to clean the engine compartment with oven cleaner. It get's rid of pretty much everything and can be done at home without special tools or making a huge mess. Unless you like getting the blasting abrasive in orfices, and other places.

I wouldn't recommend sandblasting the inner fenders or the firewall. You will be running the risk of warping them which is quite easy to do. The oven cleaner would be better in those areas. Then all you have to do is sand and paint them the colour of choice.

Jack

-
Back