Painting valve covers

-

Mopar-Man

Big Block Better Burnout
Reaction score
I work in the automotive industry at the dealership level and my paycheck has taken a beating this year. Instead of getting down about it, I have decided to revamp my Duster's plans to accomodate my budget. Instead of replacing perfectly good parts with brand new aftermarket I am going to refurbish what I have. I started by stripping and painting the longblock and it turned out great. I found a case of Ford red engine paint in my garage so that's what it got! Sure has a lot more pop than the turquoise. next I have a deep sump pan with some dents to hammer out and then it gets painted. Also some OLD Direct Connection chrome valve covers with surface rust. They will be sanding smooth and acid etched before painting. What do you guys think about using some "hammer finish" paint on them? My second choice is black wrinkle. My buddy is going to bead blast my old Torker intake and then I will clear coat it at work with some Sikkens. This whole project should cost me about $20.

The hammertone black and silver will pop more against your red block than the black wrinkle will. If you have a friend with a dedicated shop oven, cook that used intake for a couple hours to get all the air and impurities out and your clear coat may look better.

Good luck!

I've always been a fan of the hammertones! I had a '79 scout, silver hammertoned the bumpers, wheel centers, valve covers, breather, roof rack and winch cover. Never got a chip, that stuff is great!! The black hammertone looksgood, too, just a little more subtle.

Well, the hammer finish is a pain in the ***. I stripped old rust off the covers and scuffed the chrome until it wasn't shiny anymore. Then I used etch primer. I sprayed a light coat of hammer, let it dry 15 minutes and then came back with a heavier 2nd coat. What I have now is a semi-gloss silver with no hammer marks and looks like I don't know how to paint. <sigh> So I got on the web and people say to NOT use a primer and do one light tack coat then one HEAVY coat and it will fish eye like it is supposed to.

I sent a bunch of stuff over to the powder coater, and it was 80 dollars. Sent both aluminum valve covers, and 3 pulleys, and a deep sump pan. They were all done in black and look absolutely beautiful. The finish is hard as a rock, and really wont even scratch.....It was pretty reasonable I thought, and it looks 100% better than me painting like I have done so may times in the past.

I really should have powder coated. I have a lot of time in these parts now! Anyway, I sanded the valve covers back down and put the Hammertone on in one big wet coat and it worked! It is tough with the humidity we have in Florida to paint. But, I got the effect I was looking for. I will try and post up some pictures. Now I have to do the oil pan.

For what it's worth, powders exist that exactly replicate the Mopar wrinkle, and the silver vein is an amazing hammertone. :-D

Glad to hear it finally worked out for you Mopar-Man! Nice looking ride in your avatar.

-
Back