Painting your own car

-

Benlab1954

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me if there is threads on here from guys who have sprayed there own cars and would kind of share some secrets and help a guy with equipment needs and know hows ?????

Painting is an art. you really can't teach it. The process and products change constantly. You can either paint or you can't. Product is to expensive to screw up. Its not like you can put your paint back in the gun and try again. Every time you screw up you pay all over from the the sand paper to the paper and tape to the primer and paint. Materials are $$$$. let someone who does all the time it shoot it for you even if its at your location he will teach you while your getting it done.. Just my oppinion

Painting itself isn't terribly hard . It does take some practice. It comes easier to some than others. Quality paint is very expensive as in $100 to $400 a quart.Premium clear coat runs $200 a gallon. Add in primer and sand paper and filler and you can see how much u could end up spending practicing painting lol. If you want to learn id take a class or at least by some cheap paint and practice painting a old fender a few times before tackling a whole car.

Being a good painter is knowing how to fix your mistakes :read2: go check that thread on redhot's valiant

You need a good sized compressor, HVLP gun and preferably an air dryer. You also need fans especially with the new waterborne paints. Check out this forum:
http://autobodystore.com/forum/index.php

x2.

And don't let your first time painting be on your masterpiece project! Get some old car hoods from a junkyard and practice and see how paint lays down on various settings.

go hang out at a paint and body shop and see if they will teach ya some stuff if ya push a broom around or give em a hand,thats how i got my foot in the door

theres a lot to get down and u have to do it right if u slack on the body work it will show if u make a run know how to fix it and a good and know how to block it out thats the part i hate but u have to do it then wet sanding thing theres cutting and buffing my dads a body man so i got a good teacher that want u need find some one that will help u do it

Can anybody tell me if there is threads on here from guys who have sprayed there own cars and would kind of share some secrets and help a guy with equipment needs and know hows ?????

I paint in the driveway with good results. (most times better than Earl Schieb! LOL!)

My advice is this;
Follow instructions on the paint to the letter. (I have sprayed in barn 54 degrees with 94% moisture between rainshowers, still turned out good)

Ask questions where you buy paint.

Put an oil/moisture separator on your air line.

Have fun, get a little extra paint & practice on hood or something and practice with it vertical not flat, you can do flat easy enough.

Prep in the body work stage is EVERYTHING.

Again, have fun. If the paint and supplies starts adding up on your estamate, prep/mask, remove lights handles etc and take to Maaco for $325.00.
I went there but had the car completely ready. They didn't even have to mask anything but the small opening on the windshield I left so they could pull it in! LOL!:-D

Something else thats funny? I painted a Ferd Van I had once with a roller! I had just finished welding up tailights (went with elcamino bumper with lights), bodywork, frenched in antenna, etc. but it was a driver I needed to go to work. Needed to seal all bodywork for winter. Army surplus Olive Drab with a brush and paint roller while it was starting a light snow. Urban Assualt Vehicle! LOL! Hey it served it's purpose!!

-
Back