Painting

-

grassy

Reaction score
Has anyone tried or have had their car electrostaticly painted ?

Result ?

Thanks
Ian.

I know that's how I painted corvettes because wiping over the fiber glass would cause allot of static elc.

Make sure the vehicle is properly grounded, along with the equipment and you are grounded to the gun with the proper grounding.

I have not painted a car, but i paint heavy haul trailers with electrostatic. If working properly it cuts down on overspray tremendously and does a very nice job of wrapping around the corners. But also it is almost impossible to get the product into tight cracks and corners with it turned on.

Yes, It is called the Faraday effect. We could put a coat or to before the full spray. This guy has a painting booth that is larger than our car..

I appreciate the warning about grounding..I hear you can get a he** of a whack is all isn't grounded and if the nozzle is too close to the metal.

I guess what I am looking for does the paint job look good like a normal paint job...because this guy isn't that cheap.

Thanks for the responses.

Ian.

No problem on the grounding tip. Yes its can be a pretty good jolt, depending on the amount of milojules you are running. You getting zapped is nothing compared to the car or equipment finding its own ground source and making a jump. Not good deal if paint booth has some fumes.

If the paint is mixed properly and atomizing properly, i dont think the overall appearance of a car outter paint job will make any notable difference with or with out the electrostatic. I would NOT pay the extra for it.

I only think of this because there are some "wet" colours that are MOPAR colours but they look wet. Don't know if traditional paints can achieve that effect.

Yes, $s is an issue. Thanks for the response.

ian.

I'm an industrial sray painter and electo is mainly for painting hard to do peices like roll cages piping and such. I found that paint will make its way under paper if not 100% sealed. In my opinion not for use on the outer body of a car... maybe undercarriage.. not worth paying extra for.

-
Back