Parcel Shelf with No Rear Speaker (Broadcast Sheet Decode)

-

Mr. Mopar

Automotive writer
Reaction score
Howdy all,

Looking to verify some information: my car's broadcast sheet (1971 Plymouth Scamp slant six) has nothing but an '11' under the 'R' section, for radios, which I've read refers to the 2-watt AM "Music Master" radio option.

I've replaced the AM/FM/cassette I got it with with a Music Master from a '72 Duster, plus a NOS faceplate and new under-dash front speaker.

I'm now working on the rear, where the parcel shelf has been fitted with two Kenwood oval speakers. My question is: if there's nothing else on the broadcast sheet indicating a rear speaker – namely a 31 or 32 (or [3]1 or [3]2) option code – that means it should have come with no rear speakers, right? Just a blank tray?

I'm double-checking because during removal of the old Kenwood speakers and tray, I noticed the metal stamping under it had two oval holes molded into it for speakers. I assume that's just a standardized piece they fitted to all cars for assembly line efficiency, right? And they would have just covered it up with a solid-sheet-of-cardboard parcel tray (as I'm about to)?

Thanks for any clarification, just want to try to get this thing as close to I can to as-ordered.

Cheers

The oval hole on the passenger side in the metal stamping is for a rear defrost blower motor. The oval hole on the drivers side is for the rear speaker.

The 'speaker' holes were in all the panels.

Some years with dual speakers were also available with rear window defogger, so there was a special unit that allowed the speaker housing & the blower motor to share the same hole.

-
Back