Parking brake cable -question

-

philip's66

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas.
Reaction score
I need some help. I replaced my locked up 7 1/4 with one from a 74 Dart . The Rear Parking Brake Cable seems longer now.I had to put a spacer on the equalizer to take up the slack. I have been looking at the diagrams on my FSM everything looks good-nothing missing ,routing seems okay, looks like the pictures . Brakes work and are adjusted correctly. Front cable looks good nothing loose or missing. Would the cable stretch a lot or am I missing something?Everything mounted the same as original its just a different differential.Any ideas or suggestions from the experts?

You mentioned the year of the replacement rear, but what year of car did you put it in?

Did you reuse your cars cables or the ones with the new rear?

Sorry ,I have a 66 dart. I re used my cables on the parking brake and equalizer. The rear end had the parking brake cables attached. Got rid of the old rear end .

Just a thought -could the parking brake cable length be longer on the 74 Dart rear?

You need to use your original rear axle cables on the new axle to keep the correct length

Well... Big Dummy me, The one thing I didn't think of . Guess I'm S.O.L.:mad:
Thanks for the info:thankyou:

Do you need the cables internal to the brake drum ??
Or external Emergency Brake Cables??
I have both, for all years , Brand New....

Parking/emergency brake cables tend to be vehicle specific.
If you change brakes/rear end assy. use the cables that came with the car, not the ones on the new brakes/axle.

Thank You for your replies. I was able to find a set of cables for my Dart .Problem has been solved

-
Back