Parking brake cables

-

Pentarockstar

Reaction score
Been working on my parking brake on my 69 Dart because I am bored. The parking brake has never worked really well, so i am looking into it. The cables are not frozen and move well. I did notice that one cable is about an inch or so longer. I also noticed that they are not the same on the outside. The left side is just armoured looking and the right side has a spring wound around it like a brake line. Is this normal??
IMG_20230124_154323693.jpg

IMG_20230124_154405980.jpg

IMG_20230124_154419680.jpg

Thats is normal someone could have replaced one.. They are still available at Auto zone. And pretty cheap through comercial. Also there are different cables for 9 inch and 10 inch brakes. One could have been replaced with the wrong length at sometime in 50 years Just an FYI hope this helps.

2 different manufacturers for the cables. In the past, I have adjusted the overall lengths by trimming the shorter ones spring at the wheel end. Make sure both sides are adjusted up before you do it.

That is the difference between a '68 cable and a '69. Compare the PNs.

CFD244: Are you talking about the spring inside the drum? The one between the backing plate and the lever? Just trim a bit of that to increase the length of the short one?

Mcode: 68 cables are different from 69 cables and I have a mix of the two? Which is which?

CFD244: Are you talking about the spring inside the drum? The one between the backing plate and the lever? Just trim a bit of that to increase the length of the short one?

Mcode: 68 cables are different from 69 cables and I have a mix of the two? Which is which?
Trimming the spring doesn't make the inner cable longer. It only will decrease the release pressure. When you pull the cable through the sheath the other end will get shorter no matter how much of the spring you cut off.

@Oldmanmopar makes sense. I must have had something else going on.

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated. Looks like Rock Auto has both for $50. Can't beat that!!

-
Back