Part number help please.

-

72Swinger340

SKMOPARMANIAC
Reaction score
I got this drive shaft in a old parts car and I am selling off a bunch of parts at a swap meet next weekend. I have this drive shaft, can anyone tell me what it was for.
Part # 2266906 and is approximately 45 inches in length.
Thanks in advance.

Where did you locate that part number?

I got this drive shaft in a old parts car and I am selling off a bunch of parts at a swap meet next weekend. I have this drive shaft, can anyone tell me what it was for.
Part # 2266906 and is approximately 45 inches in length.
Thanks in advance.

On he one end. number on one side of the loops and the word Detroit on the other.

2266906 is a casting number, isn't it? It should be the small U joint. How about posting a picture?
Will get a picture posted later.

By the way it came with a 72 340 Demon parts car I bought.

Here are pictures of the drive shaft.

Attachments

• Numbers.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 245
  • Small Yoke.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 220
  • Shaft length.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 229
  • Full Shaft.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 261
The driveshaft part number is stamped into the tube, I think on the slipjoint end 8-12 inches from the end. They are stamped very lightly. I found this out when sanding the rust off a C body shaft to have shortened. You have to sand till you get to shiny metal, just about. That number on the end is for the casting that the u joint fits in.

The driveshaft part number is stamped into the tube, I think on the slipjoint end 8-12 inches from the end. They are stamped very lightly. I found this out when sanding the rust off a C body shaft to have shortened. You have to sand till you get to shiny metal, just about. That number on the end is for the casting that the u joint fits in.
Thanks for the info Lemondana, found the part number 2883690 fits 70-72 340 Dart and Valiant with 8 3/4 or 81/4 rearends-7260 yoke.

Yes that is only the cast number for the U-Joint piece itself not the number for the shaft. As mentioned the number for the drive shaft it self is supposed to be on the tube but usually long gone from rust many don't even have it that is why i wondered where you found it also being such an early number

On he one end. number on one side of the loops and the word Detroit on the other.

Will get a picture posted later.

By the way it came with a 72 340 Demon parts car I bought.

Yes that is only the cast number for the U-Joint piece itself not the number for the shaft. As mentioned the number for the drive shaft it self is supposed to be on the tube but usually long gone from rust many don't even have it that is why i wondered where you found it also being such an early number

I found the number about 6 inches in from the one end after I got all the rust off. The numbers were very faint and There was only one number that was gone, so looking it up in the parts book and because it came with the parts car, a 340 Demon with a 727, 2883690 It makes sense. The only number missing was the 6. Plus the measurement was also correct for the stated part.

So would it fit a duster with a 360/8 3/4 ? If so, what is the length ? I think I need 44 and a bit...

Ian.

So would it fit a duster with a 360/8 3/4 ? If so, what is the length ? I think I need 44 and a bit...

Ian.
A rough measure with a tape measure is 45 inches, the book says 44.99 inches so close enough LOL.

However the parts book I am looking at does not specify Demon, Duster, it just shows Dart and Valiant.

Picture shows the page of the parts book I am looking at.

Attachments

• Drive Shaft Page.pdf
    329.9 KB · Views: 155
-
Back