Parts ads

-

Dartvader440gt

Reaction score
Don't you just love it when you research and hunt down parts and after you find it, buy it and install it, all the ads show up after the fact?

On the other end of that spectrum, I lucked out BIG time on some parts once. In 1985, I was restoring a 65 Corvette convertible when stationed in Little Rock, AR. It was a factory AC car, and it was missing the driver's side AC duct/vent. I saw an ad somewhere for some AC parts, and I called. It turned out he lived nearby. He said he was going to Hot springs on Sunday and would stop by with them. So he comes by with a big box full of parts. i said all I wanted was the one duct/vent. He said he just wanted to get rid of all of it, and he said he only wanted $100 for it. I would have paid that for just the duct/vent. It turned out that there was pretty much an entire 65 Corvette AC setup in that box. Compressor, brackets, all three vents and much more.

Or you find a ad for a part that you need only to discover that the part has been sold long ago and the person who put up the ad is to lazy to take it down

Or you find a ad for a part that you need only to discover that the part has been sold long ago and the person who put up the ad is to lazy to take it down
or even better... i saw something that had been up for months and months and contacted the guy: hey, i know this has been up for a long time. is it still avail and if so would you take [basically about 3/4 of the price]. dude wrote back basically telling me i didn't know **** and i was wasting his time and it was a good deal and that's less than they are in the junk yard, if you can even find them (it wasn't, and you can).

so i thanked him and said that he's got my info if he changes his mind.

i found what i needed a day or so later and the guy that i bought the stuff off of was so thankful that i actually showed up and didn't waste his time wound up knocking enough off so that it was cheaper than the other jerk and then proceeded to load up a bunch of other stuff that he didn't want and thought that i could use for free.

the original guy hit me back weeks later asking if i was still interested, but still had a tone that i didn't like. so i politely informed him that i had procured the pieces i needed thru different avenues, at a better price point and the person was a pleasure to deal with. i further said that he should enjoy the one he had because it was a real nice one, and they're getting harder to find and just going up in price. but if he wanted to sell it still i'd give him 10 bucks and burrito for it.

that went over quite well. oh, and the dude still has it listed up for sale.

Don't you just love it when you research and hunt down parts and after you find it, buy it and install it, all the ads show up after the fact?
i have a similar phenomenon happen all the time. i'll have some part that is really great and i'll spend the time cleaning it and making it all nice and all of a sudden everybody and their mom has the same damn thing listed up for cheaper than what i want for mine!

or even better... i saw something that had been up for months and months and contacted the guy: hey, i know this has been up for a long time. is it still avail and if so would you take [basically about 3/4 of the price]. dude wrote back basically telling me i didn't know **** and i was wasting his time and it was a good deal and that's less than they are in the junk yard, if you can even find them (it wasn't, and you can).

so i thanked him and said that he's got my info if he changes his mind.

i found what i needed a day or so later and the guy that i bought the stuff off of was so thankful that i actually showed up and didn't waste his time wound up knocking enough off so that it was cheaper than the other jerk and then proceeded to load up a bunch of other stuff that he didn't want and thought that i could use for free.

the original guy hit me back weeks later asking if i was still interested, but still had a tone that i didn't like. so i politely informed him that i had procured the pieces i needed thru different avenues, at a better price point and the person was a pleasure to deal with. i further said that he should enjoy the one he had because it was a real nice one, and they're getting harder to find and just going up in price. but if he wanted to sell it still i'd give him 10 bucks and burrito for it.

that went over quite well. oh, and the dude still has it listed up for sale.
I had a similar experience with a guy. Had a grille that was about the same condition as what I was trying to to replace. Same bs about I didn't know anything, can't beat his price. Found a better grille at Carlisle fo bless than half the price a month later.

-
Back