Parts Cache

-

DentalDart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Got a call about parts from a guy I bought an air cleaner base off of. He’s an old racer and parts buyer/seller. This was his stuff he kept for himself but now wants/needs it all gone and prefers an all or nothing.

Says pricing it piece by piece is 40k, pretty sure that using list prices and prices of the built 440s and built transmissions. Says I can have it for 20…

A couple Brand new 6 pack carbs/intakes. Brand new 440 crate engine, built 440, built BB trans and built SB trans. Everything for another BB 440 build, almost everything for a SB W2 motor build. Brand new W2 heads…. Etc.

Worth it? Counter offer?

IMG_6894.jpeg

IMG_6896.jpeg

IMG_6904.jpeg

IMG_6907.jpeg

IMG_6909.jpeg

IMG_6906.jpeg

IMG_6897.jpeg

IMG_6891.jpeg

IMG_6905.jpeg

That's quite a bunch of parts. It's pretty much impossible to itemize them out. What's the guy looking at? $15,000?

You might as well stop. All this thread will do is open the door to sales. If you own the parts and want to sell them, a 100 sale threads will be necessary.

You might as well stop. All this thread will do is open the door to sales. If you own the parts and want to sell them, a 100 sale threads will be necessary.

I don’t really sell parts, I just don’t know fair “pricing” on a lot of stuff. Was hoping to just get a “yes good deal, maybe a little high in price.” Or a “dude is in left field and wants way too much money.”

Last edited:
Doc, if you bought all of the inventory you could probably make enough of a profit over a period of time to finance your builds. But, you have to be willing to take the time to either swap meet the stuff or post it here and on market place. This might be a great learning and teaching curve for your son.

I don’t really sale parts, I just don’t know fair “pricing” on a lot of stuff. Was hoping to just get a “yes good deal, maybe a little high in price.” Or a “dude is in left field and wants way too much money.”
Good deal.
You just won't get it all back immediately, but you should turn a decent profit.

I'm about to turn 73 and there's no way I'd go for that unless he would take 15 then I'd look it over and keep a few pieces for me and advertise the rest as a package deal for a bit more.....

Do you have the storage space, if not what will it cost to get space?
Do you want to sell parts and spend time away from family or have them join in?
Looks like a great stash of parts. if you purchase all have him include all shelving units.
I'm realistic-cheap, I look for deals at 25-30% of retail due many reasons I'm sure other will agree on. Enjoy the ride.

Do you have the storage space, if not what will it cost to get space?
Do you want to sell parts and spend time away from family or have them join in?
Looks like a great stash of parts. if you purchase all have him include all shelving units.
I'm realistic-cheap, I look for deals at 25-30% of retail due many reasons I'm sure other will agree on. Enjoy the ride.

I don’t really sell parts and I have more than enough storage space…. Plan on moving the tractor into the barn soon.

But I’m pretty damn cheap too… hence my fat *** building a chicken coop instead of buying one or paying for someone to do it. And all these dang projects are taking time away from the cars.

IMG_6914.jpeg

IMG_6915.jpeg

IMG_6916.jpeg

IMG_6917.jpeg

IMG_6913.jpeg

IMG_6760.jpeg

Last edited:
Doc, I would love to have a crack at that
Worth the money. Alot of work getting rid of it.

Honestly most of it intrigues me. Im not sure if I would sell anything right away. I mean, who doesn’t want to be the 50-70yr old with the cool parts saying “it’s not for sale… I’m going to build it one day” lol.

Here's the unpopular opinion: These parts hoards are overvalued. They're everywhere and as people get older they end up crashing on the market. This hobby isn't getting younger. It's almost the new stamp collecting. Yes, there will always be a market, but never again like the old days.

Here's another hoard https://www.ebay.com/itm/156112565249?

Enjoy

I don’t really sale parts and I have more than enough storage space…. Plan on moving the tractor into the barn soon.

But I’m pretty damn cheap too… hence my fat *** building a chicken coop instead of buying one or paying for someone to do it. And all these dang projects are taking time away from the cars.

View attachment 1716236076

View attachment 1716236077

View attachment 1716236078

View attachment 1716236079

View attachment 1716236080

View attachment 1716236081
I usually didn't sell parts either unless I knew that I'd never use them and also do my own building projects. Heck, my dad and I built my 1500 sq ft shop back in 84. He was 63 at the time and well, didn't appreciated the fact he was getting up on top of the thing to get the ridge and rafters started and then got down and do all the cutting. I'm 10 years past 63 and don't even want to get up on a finished roof let alone one that is still sticks. At one time I could walk the frame of a house without any problem and was dang good at it. Nowadays, I'm doing good to walk half way steady just getting out of bed to go to the bathroom at 2am!

Dicker him some if you can, build another pole barn with concrete floor for the new toys! You need more garage and haul that darn wood outside! Are the six pac breathers real or fiberglass repops!?
Remember when you buy a six pac setup with no car for it to go on... then you will look for a car for it to go ON!!!! At least that is how it used to be some years ago!!

If you purchase all those parts, ask yourself what your then going to with them all.
You want to go into the parts selling business on these car related web sites, Craigslist, Facebook, or other places.
Your never going to sell everything piece meal, one by one, and the way shipping costs have been sky rocketing up in price currently that also puts a big dent in potential buyers pocket books.

I don’t really sale parts,
Nobody sales parts.....not even here in the technical forums.

You can sell parts in the appropriate sections here....and magically it doesn't cost you anything but you time and a little effort.

-
Back