Parts Cache

-
One other way to think about some of the stuff is trade value with builders and machine shops.
My late uncle built some wicked engines and transmissions for race cars on a social security budget because he could get his hands on seemingly random parts and peices to trade to class racers or engine shops. He was a transmission man too, so he could grab junk cores and make them into something useful for trade as well.

Just something to ponder.

I’d rather take 20k and finish my shop trusses and insulation and get my car painted. But how often does something like this come up with quality parts for a decent price, instead of quantity.

to me i couldn't care less about the entire lot and i don't care how often a lot like that pops up. i'd finish my garage and paint my car before buying a bunch of stuff i'll probably never use.

i get what you are saying though.. but like stated already, the engines unless you can hear run are a hard sell, transmission i'd pay core price since i know nothing about them.. yes there is some good stuff there but for me i'm just not into it.. plus, if i do another motor for any of my toys it isn't going to be the old stuff. it will be a modern hemi.

you can probably make some money though... mopar guys are a ***** to deal with to be honest.. most don't want to spend what the parts are worth. then the scammers, then the guys that call,want something and never show up, then you have the clowns that offer a quarter of what you are asking without even seeing the stuff. if you aren't a regular seller of parts it can be a real headache...

Last edited:
I can find 6-8 engines on FB right now all listed as “stroker BB or built,” that have been for sale for months. So I understand that part
Hardest thing to sell is mechanical parts and such an be a can or worms. I had a bud that did well with such but he was a lifelong mechanic/engine tran builder. Buy mechanical parts YOU want and check them out and hold it.
Also, it takes special buyer to step inup and buy such a large lot.
True, such deals comealong seldom out in the sticks. You aren't in N.J. ToeDoe!

There are Moparguys that can buy such and set it in their shop and get all fuzzy eyed just looking at it all!

Go and get it, there is lots of value and profit that would cover the shop and car costs. Advertising ISNT expensive, how expensive is "free" lol.
If you have access to the $$ get it. The connections alone you make would be priceless. As mentioned organize, label, research. This all can be taken on(partly) by the young lad. Research for the most part is at everyone's fingertips.
Good luck.

I'm like Joe. I look at hoards like that and am amazed at the time and effort that goes into collecting it. It takes a lifetime. But it's something I would never do. I've never had the head for business and I usually lose my *** on everything I sell. In fact, I just GAVE AWAY an A body radiator today rather than try to sell it. I helped somebody out and that's a good feeling. That way I don't have to worry about losing my ***. lol

This is where my conundrum lies. I don’t need the stuff, some of it I have no use for and would try to sell. Other stuff I could have use for at some point in time (BB and SB transmissions, 6 pack stuff maybe, 408 stroker kit.)

He is just at the point right now where he wants to sell it in one lot, so he isn’t interested in parting it in bits and pieces.

I’d rather take 20k and finish my shop trusses and insulation and get my car painted. But how often does something like this come up with quality parts for a decent price, instead of quantity.
I agree how many opportunities like this come around ? You can buy your trusses next week, month or year but may never get this kind of opportunity. No risk no reward. Appears you have the space and funds to pull the trigger. You only live once. You can earn more money but nobody is able to go to the dealership and buy this stuff anymore. Anyway I say go for it and good luck with your choice.

I admit, as time marches on, so do more and more people go to the modern drivetrain. Restomod. Something to consider. But they do not make more of these old engines, supply keeps shrinking.

If you buy these pars right, you would be safe the long run.

My general run of thumb is never buy any project, car or part that I will not love as long as I want it and IF I decide to sell I will not lose a dime.

finish your garage. full stop.

this is the end of the discussion, i will not be taking any questions at this time.

this is the end of the discussion, i will not be taking any questions at this time.
I agree. You have to get your ox out of the ditch sometimes.

With that information known I think it’s more prudent to take care of infrastructure needs before locking yourself into a side gig.

I agree. You have to get your ox out of the ditch sometimes.

With that information known I think it’s more prudent to take care of infrastructure needs before locking yourself into a side gig.

lol my garages don’t need anything and are currently functional… I just want one to be finished insulated and different trusses in it so I can have a lift in it.

There was a comment about the seller delivering. I assume seller is local to OP.

Yep! 30 minutes from my house. I offered him the 20k but told him I want one of his old trailers as well, he said he was getting rid of them. It’s an old 12x6 trailer or something like that, not a super expensive trailer.

He hasn’t replied yet.

You don't even know what to do with all the s*** you already got. And you want to get more s*** ?

he replied back… I am getting it all, just not the trailer lol.

He is going to label as much of the parts as he can and box everything back up for me.

-
Back