Parts Cleaning

-
I like to let them soak in purple power until the grime is easy enough to brush off with a stiff brissle brush.

that depends on what your are cleaning. Big items or small items. A parts washer at HF isnt that expensive. Purple Power is good stuff too.

I keep an old dishwasher handy. Works quite well.

For larger parts even engine blocks I use an old cheap used Samoniz power washer and run through very warm (not hot) water... they say no hot water in them as it will cause a failure so I keep it close to max recomended temp. I find it works very well. If used on bare metal, I use compressed air to dry the parts.

I keep an old dishwasher handy. Works quite well.
Man I had to laugh but I'm sure it works good.and if you used the purple power or if you can find jungle Jake I'm sure it would...I used a pan of gas with different brushes..until I got the parts washer......Artie

What's a good way of cleaning parts if you don't have a parts washer?

I bought a plastic tub large enough to put most parts in, a good stiff brush and either mineral spirits or a good parts cleaning solvent.

NAPA has some stuff in a purple gallon jug, can't remember the name, that works pretty good and is biodegradable.

I always use a long sleeve shirt, good rubber gloves that come halfway up your forearm and eye protection and soak, scrub, soak etc until you get the desired results.

IF you use that stuff that NAPA has BE SURE to wear gloves, it will dry your skin right out.

I have since bought a parts washer and put mineral spirits in it. If you have a Harbor Freight store close by they sell them quite reasonably. Or check Craig's list, I have found lots of good shop stuff on there cheap, including the parts washer I have.

Easy Off oven cleaner and the local car wash.

X2

I use our local do-it-yourself car wash for the bigger items. The power wand and the soap gets rid of most of the grease and grime as well as any loose paint. I then take it home to do any areas that need scrubbing with mineral spirits or some other solvent. The smaller stuff can be soaked in a bucket containing a detergent or a solvent. There is a product called Awesome which does a great job. Just make sure to rinse well with water.

To help prevent surface rust on cast iron or non-stainless steel, spray the surfaces with rubbing alcohol, which is Isopropyl alcohol, while they are still wet and dry with compressed air.

Lastly, if the item is to be stored on the shelf for any length of time, a coating of light machine oil may be advised to keep the surfaces from rusting.

I told the "old dishwasher" technique to my wife and she made me promise not to use the dishwasher when she wasn't around...lol.

Thanks guys!

i use a 5 gallon paint pail with gasoline and theres some brake cleaner in there that drips off parts when I spray them, i have one of them terlet bowl brushes with the long britles and it works good then rince with garden hose and and air blow em dry or move em into the pail of purple power if they gittin painted

When I read Wagg's suggestion about gas, it brought me back to childhood. My father was the biggest proponent of "gasoline for everything"! He used gas for every possible situation...cleaning paintbrushes....removing tar from quarters....starting charcoal...the list goes on! If you had a cleaning situation...gasoline was the answer!

well yea what else do ya light the charcoal with???? charcoal lighter fluid ain't cheep....believe it or not the smell goae away quicker that charcoal lighter fluid, the gas i use has trans fluid and some motor oil in it, useually bad gas from old tanks around here, had to find a way to recycle it and brake cleaner sure is expensive I use it for a lot of stuff also but sparingly
When I read Wagg's suggestion about gas, it brought me back to childhood. My father was the biggest proponent of "gasoline for everything"! He used gas for every possible situation...cleaning paintbrushes....removing tar from quarters....starting charcoal...the list goes on! If you had a cleaning situation...gasoline was the answer!

Concrete cleaner intended for use in pressure washers. Dump your parts in a 5 gallon bucket drop in the cleaner and fill to above parts with water. Leave over night. Rinse with water.

-
Back