Parts recommendations

-

GammaRay

Reaction score
Hi all, I am just starting to get to work on my 64' Valiant, 225/6 with a 904 behind it. First order of business is pulling the tranny to replace the front seal and/or front pump bushing. It was literally pouring out tranny fluid from the dust cover area while running. I have thoroughly checked every other possible location for a leak after using the search function on this great site for any other possibilities. My question is, where do you recommend picking up the parts for this fix? Wasn't sure if one brand was better than the other etc...

Thanks everyone!

I generally buy my small parts locally at NAPA. If I need anything larger than a seal I buy from www.bulkpart.com

Have your torque converter checked when you have it apart. I've seen cracked torque converter snouts leak making it appear it's just bad seals.

Thanks fishy68! I have heard that about the snouts cracking, do you just take it to a transmission place to get that checked?

Sorry if this is a redundant question, but also, are there any "specialty" tools that are required to replace the front seal? I have wrenched on darn near everything, but will admit, this will be the first time on an automatic transmission.

Thanks fishy68! I have heard that about the snouts cracking, do you just take it to a transmission place to get that checked?

Sorry if this is a redundant question, but also, are there any "specialty" tools that are required to replace the front seal? I have wrenched on darn near everything, but will admit, this will be the first time on an automatic transmission.

Yes any transmission rebuild center should be able to test it quick and easy.

No special tools required. Just pop it out with a long flat tip screwdriver. Grease it up good with Vaseline where the converter slides in. I also grease the converter snout to be sure it doesn't run dry.

Good luck and glad to help.

-
Back