pass side exhaust manifold

-

340 swing

340swing
Reaction score
Before I scratch the crap out of the new paint job. Are there any tricks to putting the passenger side manifold in, I can't seem to get the heat riser between the engine and the inner fender. Do I jack up the engine?

Did you try from underneath ? You could un-bolt the mount on that side and raise the motor up then hope the heat riser clears on the way down.

Get some thin cardboard (I used shoe box cardboard) and tape it to the fenderwell and lift that side of the engine up.

Lift the motor slightly, and put one of those padded blankets that moving companies use on the inner fender.

The pass side manifold went right in on my 340 Dart, but I had to jack up the motor to get the drivers side manifold in. Had plenty of clearance for the pass side.

George

George, I have the complete opposite my dr. side dropped right on( the steering column is not in) the pass side won't clear the heat riser. I will jack up that side and try to slide it in tomorrow.

OK. My column was already installed so that explains why you can get the drivers side in and I couldn't, but I have no idea why I was able to get my pass side in and you can't. I have the heat riser on mine as well. I didn't even nic the paint it went in so easily. If you don't mind me asking, what is it that is getting in the way of the install? I'm just curious.
If you want some help one day, just ask. Oxford is pretty close to Trumbull, and I'd love to see your ride too.

George

George, I Can't get it past the inner fender. It's close so I can probably get it by jacking up the engine. I do have the 90 degree oil filter adapter on. I will get it on today one way or another. Do you do any local cruises, I grew up in Trumbull so I know all the local spots.

The only cruise I attend is at DQ in Monroe on Friday afternoons. I grew up in BPT and we used to hang at the Merritt Canteen from like 82-85 or so. I had an orange 69 350 horse Corvette at the time with a dual quad tunnel ram.
I have been to the Sunday night Heavenly Donut show on 34 in Derby a few times too. Mostly I just take the car out and drive it. I aint one for sittin in one spot too long! LOL
Where in Trumbull did you live??

George

I lived on the corner of Daniels Farm rd and Strobel. I always had a bunch of mopar's in the driveway. I used to go to the canteen around that time I had a blue 70 Cuda. Did you know Dean Sorentino (Orange 70 Dart), Milo (Big blown Oldsmobile) or Jim Forno(69 couger) There was another guy with a 70 roadrunner Tan color? I got the manifolds on today. Jacked up the engine and it fell right in.

Your Cuda was a slap stick auto, correct? I think you took it to Firestone in FFLD one day with a charging problem. I used to work there in the early 80's.
I know Dean Scortino & his older brother Jimmy who had a 70 T/A Challenger. They own 10/10 Lube Center in Milford. I have known those guys & Millo Bertini for over 25 years now. Millo still has his Olds.
The dude with the tan 70 GTX....damn, I can't recall his name. It was an automatic too, with a primered fender. His older brother had a dark blue 62 Impala. I was in the car club East Coast California with those guys, as well as T Bucket Louie, Blower Bill (gold 71 Vette w/blower) Al Minopoly (blue 70 Chevelle) Bob Sultenrich (blue 72 Chevelle, white 69 vert Vette) Bill Fuller (white 68 Cutlass) Frank Baldelli (66 Oldsmobile) Pete Minnitti (white 67 Mustang) Pete Juelson, Mitch Amatrudo, Brett (I forgot his last name) and all the "Dead End Boys" like the Valentino brothers John & Tony, Jim Finnegan and all their buddies.
They used to call me Mugsy back then. I never had a hood on my Vette, and it had mags in front only.
Whats your name?
Small world, huh?! LOL

George

The cuda I had I bought off Jim Wilson off beacon hill rd in Trumbull, It was a 440 4spd 410 dana car. I didn't have the money to fix it so I sold the engine to Paul Sacone who used it in his 70 Challenger convt. I put a 340 in the car that I had from another cuda. I had a friend who had a 70 challenger with a charging problem. He bought the the car from Steve Klien. I know who most of the guys you listed but I doubt they know me I idolized them back then. Do you know Jeff Coe. He lives in Trumbull and is a life long Mopar nut. E body guy. I"m going to Carlisle with him.
Brian Pretka

-
Back